By Popular Request!!!! YES!!!! Mark Your Calendars For Our N-10sive TRX/Fusion X Crossover Class At Good Life Fitness South East And Good Life Fitness South West!!!!!!!!!!! Sign Up Available At BOTH Good Life Fitness Locations Starting October 23rd!!
An AMAZING transformation from Good Life Fitness boot camper!! Audie has been attending 6a.m. N-10sive boot camp several days a week and working with Good Life Fitness nutritionist Dewayne Roth since January!!! Audie has dropped OVER 50lbs!!! Audie’s physical transformation is AMAZING!! His ENERGY, His PASSION, And His Internal Transformation Shows!!!! Adding Years To Your Life…And Life To Your Years!!
Today’s AWESOMESAUCE Award goes out to Kim Dillon!
” Good Life Fitness has been a big part of my life since 2011 and I’m always proud to tell people I workout there.
In 2007, I received the amazing gift of life with a kidney & pancreas transplant because of complications I suffered from Type 1 diabetes. After the transplant, like with every step forward, I was taking 203 steps back with health issues. I kept fighting because I had been given a second chance at life and needed to keep my donated organs as healthy as possible.
I joined GLF and started walking on the treadmill. Ended up walking next to Steven Auxier one day and told him I was thinking about walking the Lincoln half marathon. He encouraged me to sign up for the marathon training class offered through the gym. I never thought I could walk a half marathon, let alone run one! Three Lincoln halfs later, I think I need to thank Steve for that little encouraging talk back in January 2012. He and the staff have continued to encourage me through my fitness journey.
Hands down, my biggest supporter has been Bryant Travis. He was given quite the challenge when I signed up to train with him a few years ago. With age and the daily dose of prednisone because of the transplant, I knew I needed to take care of my bones. He took all of my limitations and continued ailments and worked them into a program that has made me stronger. He knows when he can push me a little harder or when my body can’t handle any more. He is brilliant at what he does and makes it enjoyable at the same time. I always look forward to my workouts with Bryant and feel so grateful for what he has done for me.
I remember when I joined GLF, I mentioned to a friend that I liked the diversity of fitness levels and age groups of the members. The staff was so friendly and encouraged me to stick with it. That remains true today. GLF got me moving in the right direction and with their help, I’m hoping my donated organs continue working for a very long time!
Here are the Top 7 obstacles to overcome daily!
1. Hitting The Snooze Button– Yes the snooze button in the morning can be your big obstacle. By waking up 10 minutes early each day this can be the deciding factor to give you enough time to eat your balanced out breakfast! No more drive throughs or sugar packed breakfast bars.
2. Exercising In The Morning- Studies show a 90% success rate for people that exercise in the early morning before work. If life gets in the way then you must make it a priority no matter what to exercise first thing in the morning. The old saying ” Early bird gets the worm”:)
3. Pack Your Lunch– If you try to wing your lunch you will make bad choices that are not on your program. Co-workers and friends can easily influence you with your guard down. Take the extra time each night to prepare your lunch for the following day. Fail to plan to plan to fail:)
4. Starting A Fitness Program– Yes this is short term pain with long term gains. Everybody struggles in the beginning. Nobody is bullet proof from first time soreness. I truly believe this is mentally tough for exercisers trying to start up again with their fitness program. Nobody likes to be sore or struggling to breath. Our bodies are a creature of habit and will adjust within 2 weeks. Just get through the beginning stages:))
5. Switching Your Food Choices– Yes we love salt, sugar and fat! Yes the temptations are killers but are you willing to fight through the temptations to get where you want to be? Our bodies are constantly trying to reward and comfort. Set your mindset for cruise control and fight off the battles of temptations! Short term pain for long term gain!!
6. Cooking And Grocery Shopping– Yes cooking is a short term pain with long term gains. I know many claim they have limited culinary skills. Another short term pain is cleaning the kitchen and grocery shopping. To look and feel your best I can guarantee you that eating out for your meals will produce NO results of lean sculpted body. Take the extra time and experiment with herbs and spices. Also I highly recommend the cookbook Eating For Life and TasteofMai.blogspot.com for creative healthy recipes.
7. Fear- Yes FEAR is our #1 killer of long term gains in fitness! Many fear the fact of failure in fitness. It is much easier to use fear as an obstacle to keep you from reaching your potential. Many fear of looking out of place in the gym environment. I highly recommend the group setting of fitness boot camps, group x classes, and also seeking the guidance of a qualified personal trainer. REMEMBER everyone no matter how experienced they are in fitness has felt the fear of the new gym environment. This fear is a short term pain for long term gains.Share it!
DO YOU FEEL BLOATED? HOW TO AVOID EXCESSIVE WATER RETENTION
Do you commonly walk around feeling like a bloated Sponge Bob Square Pants? Have you noticed that you can bounce around 3-6 pounds per day? Are you dreading putting the bikini on or taking the shirt off at the pool this summer?!? Have you ever noticed one day you feel EXTRA lean and then some days you feel FLUFFY?!? This is very FRUSTRATING!! I highly recommend that you seek the assistance of our fat loss specialist at Good Life Fitness that will custom make your “Shred” nutrition program to help you look and feel your best for Spring:))
Here are some Summertime tips to help you better understand water retention and how to prevent it.
Our body acts very much like Sponge Bob. If you consume small amounts of water, it is very similar to taking a few drops of water and pouring it on a sponge. What happens? That dehydrated sponge will hold onto that water therefore causing you to look and feel bloated especially in the midsection. Now if you take a fully saturated sponge and pour a gallon of water on it the sponge will absorb it and then overflow the remaining amount. The common thinking is to restrict your water to lose weight, but what happens is the body perceives it and the signal is transmitted saying that you better retain it not knowing when the next water is coming again. This is what makes us feel bloated! Many people commonly will take water pills, detox pills, or other natural herbs trying to alleviate this water retention. These supplements are only a QUICK FIX to a problem that can be cured with proper hydration, water intake, and most important nutrition consistency! When you are bloated you are actually dehydrated. When you have the urge to drink water this is a sign of the first stage of dehydration. Have you ever noticed that all body builders carry a milk jug of water around and they are lean, muscular, and full of energy. Over 70% of America’s population are walking around chronically dehydrated.
How much water should I drink per day? I usually recommend first the following equation. Take your bodyweight/2.2. If you are doing that then your bodyweight x .66 = oz of water per day. Try adding lemon to your water. Common foods to avoid are dairy products ( cottage cheese), flour, excessive bread consumption, high amounts of cereals, frozen meals, lunch meat, salsa’s, spaghetti sauces, canned vegetables and soups, excessive caffeine, alcohol, fast food, chips, and pretzels.
There are foods that have properties to help alleviate water retention. Try and incorporate white fish, spinach, and asparagus to help with excessive water retention!! Another important factor is to not eliminate carbohydrates from your diet…this will cause more problems down the road.
The other day I was walking around the grocery store and was just shocked how strategically the store was layout. It seems that the average small town grocery store is a thing of the past and are now being replaced with huge super centers. I am now able to do my dry cleaning, banking, drink coffee, eat Mc Donalds, change my oil and even cut my hair all in a grocery store! Well here is the secret…the longer they can keep you in the store the more products you will purchase. With this in mind, I have come up with 10 grocery shopping tips to help us stay on track to reaching your goals.
- Never shop hungry! Have you ever noticed that food that normally is not appealing all of sudden sounds really good? You will be tempted to purchase junk food and what I call “mindless food“. These include chips, crackers, candy bars, and other little snack grabbers. So avoid this at all costs!
- Shop on the outside isles. Over 80% of the foods that you want to eat are on the outside isles of the store. Foods like mixed green salad, lean meats, dairy products, vegetables, and fruits are always located on the outside isles.
- Shop from a grocery list. Use the 30 Day Shredded Diet grocery list. Stick to your list. Over 40 percent of supermarket purchases are made on impulse thinking. Stick to your guns!
- Stay away from the inside isles. Here is a true fact. Grocery stores regulate the heat on the outside isles. They purposely heat in the inside isles more to keep you there longer. The outside is always colder. The inside isles have all of the junk food. Be careful!
- Check out temptations! With children I notice this a ton! As we are stuck in line surrounded by candy bars, lolly pops, beef jerky, energy drinks, magazine tabloids, and other “mindless” foods the temptations rise tremendously! Be careful.
- Choose foods wisely. One rule I live by is that I always choose foods with one ingredient or no label. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the package then avoid it. Probably not good for you!
- Hurry Up! Have you ever noticed the music in stores? Supermarkets play down-tempo music to make you move slower and enjoy your shopping experience. Marketing to get you to stay longer!
- Be careful in the cereal isle. Companies pay big money for their prime spots on the shelves. Have you ever noticed that all of the Disney characters are strategically placed at childrens height? They are marketing to your children. Sneaky, huh? Yes the healthy cereals are up high or way low. The fruit snacks are right at eye sight level for children to see also.
- Why is the dairy case clear in the back? Well this is strategically done as well. Normally we are tempted to buy more as we walk to the back of the store. Normally you will leave with more than just milk.
- Online grocery shopping. Have you ever tried to shop with 3 small children screaming and wanting everything in the store? Well it is not pleasant!! My wife found the online grocery shopping experience to be very convenient. A current study showed that people purchased 28% less calorie dense foods when shopping online. Give it a try!
Bonus Tip:) Avoid all of the free samples that the nice little vendor is offering!!
Throughout the years I have witnessed some major life changing transformations. I still have so many questions about peoples struggles with achieving fitness success? Why does fitness have a 65% failure rate at week 12? Why do so many fall into the infomercial traps to only find themselves still looking for the next best thing? Why do so many look to the next supplement or fat burner to fill in the gaps where their nutrition is failing? Maybe we will never know the true answers but this is life long goal of myself and the staff at Good Life Fitness/N-10sive Boot Camps! We are dedicated to our clients fitness success!
Have you ever noticed in the local garage sales all of the fitness equipment sitting there? I have known thousands of people who have purchased P90x, Insanity, Bow Flex, treadmills, ellipiticals, and eventually they turn into glorified cloth hangers. Yes it looks easy and convenient but the #1 element is missing…GROUP ACCOUNTABILITY!!I truely believe the #1 element that is missing in many home video workouts is GROUP ACCOUNTABILITY!! Studies show a 225% success rate when people exercise in a group atmosphere! Travis Eckhardt was not new to fitness and like many Travis looked to the famous P90x and Insanity workout to help him take his fitness to the next level. I am HONORED that Travis has shared his personal fitness testimonial and his experience at Good Life Fitness/N-10sive Boot Camps !!
Background-Good Life Fitness has been a key element to my fitness transformation. I’ve always been an active individual, playing sports in high school and college. After organized sports ran its course I tried to occupy my free time by working out at the gym or doing P90X or Insanity workouts. The gym allowed me to maintain my current fitness level but never really improve, I simply wasn’t dedicated enough to push myself when no one was looking. P90X and Insanity are great workouts and I was able to see results but it became boring/dull doing the same workout over and over again. I soon found myself not pushing myself, fast forwarding the workout, and finally skipping workouts all together. I never really got completely out of shape all together but I definitely wasn’t pushing myself to improve my fitness level either.
Workouts-In late November I joined Good Life Fitness to participate in N10sive boot camps. I was very skeptical at first thinking that the workouts would be a walk in the park. WRONG. It was one of the hardest workouts I have ever done. In fact, a lot of days as I leave the gym I’m thinking to myself that was one of the hardest workouts I have ever done. That is the great thing about this place. Once you show up there is no stop button or slacking off or taking breaks. I also find myself constantly sore which means these workouts are really doing their job. I personally am very competitive by nature and love to set the pace in class if I can but not at the expense of sacrificing form. When Steve talks about “how we can make the workouts harder” I personally think if you have to ask that question you’re not doing them right. Every day is a challenge if you follow the instructions and push yourself.
Nutrition-Equally important as the intense workouts is your nutrition plan. Good Life’s nutritionists designed a customized diet for me based on my activity level that included calorie intake per day, what to eat, when to eat, etc…I try and stick to that nutrition plan as close as I can during the week. I certainly have my “cheat days” and have never said “no” to chips and salsa but by avoiding keeping those foods in the house I eat them less frequently. Good Life has also provided us with some great recipes to mix up our meal plan instead of eating the same food every day. I’ve been a big fan of the Myofusion protein that is sold at Good Life and just recently started taking the “Super Charge” pre workout drink that I feel has improved my energy and focus during workouts. I also prefer to work out in the morning because when I do I feel that I have better self control when picking foods to snack on. If I’ve just killed myself on a workout that morning I don’t want to go and offset it by eating something unhealthy.
Results– I’ve been a member six months now and my body weight has dropped from 177 lbs to 158 lbs. My body fat % has dropped from 12.5% to 6.6% and I have no intentions of being satisfied. These work outs are addicting, exciting, and always changing. You can’t say the same with a DVD workout. In addition to the results I’ve seen on the scale, the friendships I’ve developed over the past 6 months are equally as rewarding.