DO YOU FEEL BLOATED? HOW TO AVOID EXCESSIVE WATER RETENTION
Do you commonly walk around feeling like a bloated Sponge Bob Square Pants? Have you noticed that you can bounce around 3-6 pounds per day? Are you dreading putting the bikini on or taking the shirt off at the pool this summer?!? Have you ever noticed one day you feel EXTRA lean and then some days you feel FLUFFY?!? This is very FRUSTRATING!! I highly recommend that you seek the assistance of our fat loss specialist at Good Life Fitness that will custom make your “Shred” nutrition program to help you look and feel your best for Spring:)) Here are some Summertime tips to help you better understand water retention and how to prevent it. Our body acts very much like Sponge Bob. If you consume small amounts of water, it is very similar to taking a few drops of water and pouring it on a sponge. What happens? That dehydrated sponge will hold onto that water therefore causing you to look and feel bloated especially in the midsection. Now if you take a fully saturated sponge and pour a gallon of water on it the sponge will absorb it and then overflow the remaining amount. The common thinking is to restrict your water to lose weight, but what happens is the body perceives it and the signal is transmitted saying that you better retain it not knowing when the next water is coming again. This is what makes us feel bloated! Many people commonly will take water pills, detox pills, or other natural herbs trying to alleviate this water retention. These supplements are only a QUICK FIX to a problem that can be cured with proper hydration, water intake, and most important nutrition consistency! When you are bloated you are actually dehydrated. When you have the urge to drink water this is a sign of the first stage of dehydration. Have you ever noticed that all body builders carry a milk jug of water around and they are lean, muscular, and full of energy. Over 70% of America’s population are walking around chronically dehydrated. How much water should I drink per day? I usually recommend first the following equation. Take your bodyweight/2.2. If you are doing that then your bodyweight x .66 = oz of water per day. Try adding lemon to your water. Common foods to avoid are dairy products ( cottage cheese), flour, excessive bread consumption, high amounts of cereals, frozen meals, lunch meat, salsa’s, spaghetti sauces, canned vegetables and soups, excessive caffeine, alcohol, fast food, chips, and pretzels. There are foods that have properties to help alleviate water retention. Try and incorporate white fish, spinach, and asparagus to help with excessive water retention!! Another important factor is to not eliminate carbohydrates from your diet…this will cause more problems down the road. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!!!Share it!
YES tank top, halter top, tube top weather is coming...are you ready?!? Schedule today a FREE personal training/nutrition consultation to help set your fitness goals for Spring!! FREE body composition testing to help with your starting goals!! FREE equipment orientation to answer any questions you have. Stop by the front desk for more details! Share it!
The frustration of unwanted ugly belly fat! Many people truly look to quick fix nutrition programs and fat burning supplements as the answer of the stubborn midsection! This blog was the #1 viewed blog of 2010 that I had posted so I wanted to share it again just in time for spring:)) Shredded, wash board, razor cuts…these are lifelong dreams of many fitness enthusiasts. I personally view a lean firm stomach as a testimonial of one’s dedication to their nutrition and training. I receive many emails a day from people seeking advice on training their stomach. Here is a list of the Top 7 questions about achieving those razor cut abs! Also a bonus question at the end:)) Question #1: Do we have an upper and lower abdomen? Answer: No. A lot times I think we feel that we have two separate sections of the abdominal. Our rectus abodominal muscle is actually all one main muscle. The reason we often see the upper abdominals contract and burn more is because of the muscle fibers in this region. The upper abdominal muscle fibers shorten more during abdominal movements but actually the whole abdomen does contract. Proper nutrition, cardiovascular training and your core program is important! Question #2: Why can I not see my abs yet? I do a ton of abdominal crunches but I still can not see my abs! Answer: Remember you can not spot train. Basically what this means is that we can not burn fat out of certain regions of our body. Now i do believe that we should put extra focus on those stubborn areas to help them pick up the pace:) It is very important that we balance out our fitness instead of just trying to work on our problem spots. According to a study done at the University of Massachusetts. A group of men did the equivalent of 5,000 sit ups in 27 days and did not lose any body fat from their abdomen. The key is your cardiovascular, nutrition, and your training program. Question #3: What is the best abdominal exercise? Answer: This is a tough question. My theory is that we must incorporate the posterior side of the body into the abdominal movement. So I personally believe the two best movements are the abdominal plank and the v-up crunch. Both of these movements incorporate the whole rectus abdominus and lower erectior spinae. Question #4: Should I always train my abs at the end of the workout? Answer: Personally I am a fan of mixing abdominal movements in to the middle of the workout. Remember our body is a creature of habit. We are trying to break the principle of adaptation. So a good mixup is important. Try doing your stomach first. Be careful on leg day! If you fatigue your lower back before squats or deadlifts you must be cautious! Question #5: Can I use weights on my ab exercises? Answer: Yes, I would try to master technique first before increasing the intensity with weights. The key is technique then intensity! Question #6: How often can I train my abs? Answer: No research has shown that we can overtrain our stomach. Personally I train my stomach multiple times per day. The military and top athletes in the world train their abdomen daily! Question #7: Does side bends with dumbbells reduce my love handles? Answer: Unfortunately this does not work. This movement actually works the lateral range of motion in your spine. The key to reducing these areas is proper diet and your cardiovascular program. Bonus Question: If you would change one thing in my diet what would you do? Wow: Tough question…honestly I say there are 3 main keys. Work on eliminating all simple sugars, meal spacing, and work on increasing your lean protein. Share it!
The other day I was walking around the grocery store and was just shocked how strategically the store was layout. It seems that the average small town grocery store is a thing of the past and are now being replaced with huge super centers. I am now able to do my dry cleaning, banking, drink coffee, eat Mc Donalds, change my oil and even cut my hair all in a grocery store! Well here is the secret…the longer they can keep you in the store the more products you will purchase. With this in mind, I have come up with 10 grocery shopping tips to help us stay on track to reaching your goals.
- Never shop hungry! Have you ever noticed that food that normally is not appealing all of sudden sounds really good? You will be tempted to purchase junk food and what I call “mindless food“. These include chips, crackers, candy bars, and other little snack grabbers. So avoid this at all costs!
- Shop on the outside isles. Over 80% of the foods that you want to eat are on the outside isles of the store. Foods like mixed green salad, lean meats, dairy products, vegetables, and fruits are always located on the outside isles.
- Shop from a grocery list. Use the 30 Day Shredded Diet grocery list. Stick to your list. Over 40 percent of supermarket purchases are made on impulse thinking. Stick to your guns!
- Stay away from the inside isles. Here is a true fact. Grocery stores regulate the heat on the outside isles. They purposely heat in the inside isles more to keep you there longer. The outside is always colder. The inside isles have all of the junk food. Be careful!
- Check out temptations! With children I notice this a ton! As we are stuck in line surrounded by candy bars, lolly pops, beef jerky, energy drinks, magazine tabloids, and other “mindless” foods the temptations rise tremendously! Be careful.
- Choose foods wisely. One rule I live by is that I always choose foods with one ingredient or no label. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the package then avoid it. Probably not good for you!
- Hurry Up! Have you ever noticed the music in stores? Supermarkets play down-tempo music to make you move slower and enjoy your shopping experience. Marketing to get you to stay longer!
- Be careful in the cereal isle. Companies pay big money for their prime spots on the shelves. Have you ever noticed that all of the Disney characters are strategically placed at childrens height? They are marketing to your children. Sneaky, huh? Yes the healthy cereals are up high or way low. The fruit snacks are right at eye sight level for children to see also.
- Why is the dairy case clear in the back? Well this is strategically done as well. Normally we are tempted to buy more as we walk to the back of the store. Normally you will leave with more than just milk.
- Online grocery shopping. Have you ever tried to shop with 3 small children screaming and wanting everything in the store? Well it is not pleasant!! My wife found the online grocery shopping experience to be very convenient. A current study showed that people purchased 28% less calorie dense foods when shopping online. Give it a try!
Yes believe it or not but lack of movement is labeled as the "silent killer". If you really look at your daily activity you might find a big majority is "sitting" .Yes we have become a screen viewing society and many just lack movement with a combination of poor nutrition is a DEADLY combo. As you are aware, I’m sure, people who work in an office tend to sit down ALL DAY LONG, and even if they have worked out in the morning (like at your boot camp), they still might be very sedentary during the day. Here’s a typical example: Get up and go to Steve’s boot camp with your day starting at 4:30a.m. If you look at your life schedule with children. It could be even more lack of activity. Driving children to their activities and sitting and watching activities..in general we have become even more inactive the more involved our children become. On the go makes us even more open to grabbing food on the go and foods with preservatives. 4:30a.m -5:00 – SIT in car on way to Good Life Fitness 5:00-6:00am -- Boot Camp at Good Life Fitness 6:00-6:30am – SIT in car going home 6:30-7:30 – ready for work 7:30-8:00 – SIT to go to work 8:00-11:30 – SIT at work 11:30-12:30 – lunch (SIT most of it) 12:30-5:00 SIT at work 5:00-5:30 – SIT on the way home 5:30-bedtime – dinner, SIT to read/watch tv/help kids with homework, e.t.c. That’s 11 hours of sitting, not including the sitting time after 5:30p.m. Lack of activity...YES belly fat and flat butt syndrome:) Amazing when you really break down your daily activity like above. GOALS: Get up and move around through out the day. How about a ergonomic desk that allows you to stand? How about taking a walk or better yet go to the gym over your lunch hour? How about go for a run/walk when your children are at their practices? Your daily goal is 10,000 steps per day!!Share it!
In 2017 You Will Look And Feel Your BEST!!! In 2016 Good Life Fitness Was Picked In The TOP 50 BEST Gyms In America AND #1 Gym In Nebraska By Men's Health Magazine!! Good Life Fitness Also Won BEST "Place To Feel A Burn" And #1 Gym In Customer Service In Lincoln!!! We Pride On Being A Locally Owned/Operated Business And PRIDE On Customer Service!! NOW With Our 2nd Location OPEN On 84th Highway 2...Come Check Out Good Life Fitness For A FREE Week With NO High Pressure Sales, NO 1,2, OR 3 Year Contracts, And NO Rate Increase Once You Join!!! We Are Dedicated To Your Fitness Success In 2017!!!!!!!! Share it!
Lindsay Goodenberger- Client Of Bryant Travis At Good Life Fitness/N-10sive Boot Camps we are dedicated to motivate and educate our clients by improving the quality of their life. Let our certified personal trainers and fat loss specialist custom design your fitness plan specific to your goals!! To maximize your results let one our fat loss specialists custom design your nutrition program with our award winning Shred Nutrition Program. The key to long term health and fitness is to focus on ONE MEAL, ONE WORKOUT, ONE DAY AT A TIME. We help individuals perform at their best, regardless of age or fitness level. We do not implement one standard fitness program for all our clients. With today’s busy lifestyle we realize the need for convenience and bringing fitness right to you. We offer many different types of customized packages to fit your individual needs. If it is a change in your fitness routine or daily accountability, we can provide that extra motivation. Check out our 30 minute metabolic personal training for busy people! Jill Shemek- Client Of Bryant Travis NOW Offering TEAM Training UP To 10 People Our Trainers Specialties Include:
- Senior Resistance Training
- Injury Prevention
- HIIT Interval Training
- Pre/Post New Mom Training
- Company Wellness
- Core Training
- Post Rehabilitation Training
- Sports Specific Youth Training
Joining a gym should not be like buying a cell phone with LONG term contracts and commitments!!! Here Is Why Your Family/Friends Will Love Good Life Fitness!!! Good Life Fitness is unique in that we do NOT have the following commitments:
- EXTRA Fees For Child Care ( All children under 12 are FREE)
- NO 1,2, OR 3 Year Gym Contracts
- NO Rate Increase Once You Join OR Annually
- NO Cancellation OR Buyout Fees To Get Out Of Your Long Term Gym Contracts.
- NO EXTRA Facility Charge To Use Another Location