The other day I was walking around the grocery store and was just shocked how strategically the store was layout. It seems that the average small town grocery store is a thing of the past and are now being replaced with huge super centers. I am now able to do my dry cleaning, banking, drink coffee, eat Mc Donalds, change my oil and even cut my hair all in a grocery store! Well here is the secret…the longer they can keep you in the store the more products you will purchase. With this in mind, I have come up with 10 grocery shopping tips to help us stay on track to reaching your goals.
- Never shop hungry! Have you ever noticed that food that normally is not appealing all of sudden sounds really good? You will be tempted to purchase junk food and what I call “mindless food“. These include chips, crackers, candy bars, and other little snack grabbers. So avoid this at all costs!
- Shop on the outside isles. Over 80% of the foods that you want to eat are on the outside isles of the store. Foods like mixed green salad, lean meats, dairy products, vegetables, and fruits are always located on the outside isles.
- Shop from a grocery list. Use the 30 Day Shredded Diet grocery list. Stick to your list. Over 40 percent of supermarket purchases are made on impulse thinking. Stick to your guns!
- Stay away from the inside isles. Here is a true fact. Grocery stores regulate the heat on the outside isles. They purposely heat in the inside isles more to keep you there longer. The outside is always colder. The inside isles have all of the junk food. Be careful!
- Check out temptations! With children I notice this a ton! As we are stuck in line surrounded by candy bars, lolly pops, beef jerky, energy drinks, magazine tabloids, and other “mindless” foods the temptations rise tremendously! Be careful.
- Choose foods wisely. One rule I live by is that I always choose foods with one ingredient or no label. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the package then avoid it. Probably not good for you!
- Hurry Up! Have you ever noticed the music in stores? Supermarkets play down-tempo music to make you move slower and enjoy your shopping experience. Marketing to get you to stay longer!
- Be careful in the cereal isle. Companies pay big money for their prime spots on the shelves. Have you ever noticed that all of the Disney characters are strategically placed at childrens height? They are marketing to your children. Sneaky, huh? Yes the healthy cereals are up high or way low. The fruit snacks are right at eye sight level for children to see also.
- Why is the dairy case clear in the back? Well this is strategically done as well. Normally we are tempted to buy more as we walk to the back of the store. Normally you will leave with more than just milk.
- Online grocery shopping. Have you ever tried to shop with 3 small children screaming and wanting everything in the store? Well it is not pleasant!! My wife found the online grocery shopping experience to be very convenient. A current study showed that people purchased 28% less calorie dense foods when shopping online. Give it a try!
Yes believe it or not but lack of movement is labeled as the "silent killer". If you really look at your daily activity you might find a big majority is "sitting" .Yes we have become a screen viewing society and many just lack movement with a combination of poor nutrition is a DEADLY combo. As you are aware, I’m sure, people who work in an office tend to sit down ALL DAY LONG, and even if they have worked out in the morning (like at your boot camp), they still might be very sedentary during the day. Here’s a typical example: Get up and go to Steve’s boot camp with your day starting at 4:30a.m. If you look at your life schedule with children. It could be even more lack of activity. Driving children to their activities and sitting and watching activities..in general we have become even more inactive the more involved our children become. On the go makes us even more open to grabbing food on the go and foods with preservatives. 4:30a.m -5:00 – SIT in car on way to Good Life Fitness 5:00-6:00am -- Boot Camp at Good Life Fitness 6:00-6:30am – SIT in car going home 6:30-7:30 – ready for work 7:30-8:00 – SIT to go to work 8:00-11:30 – SIT at work 11:30-12:30 – lunch (SIT most of it) 12:30-5:00 SIT at work 5:00-5:30 – SIT on the way home 5:30-bedtime – dinner, SIT to read/watch tv/help kids with homework, e.t.c. That’s 11 hours of sitting, not including the sitting time after 5:30p.m. Lack of activity...YES belly fat and flat butt syndrome:) Amazing when you really break down your daily activity like above. GOALS: Get up and move around through out the day. How about a ergonomic desk that allows you to stand? How about taking a walk or better yet go to the gym over your lunch hour? How about go for a run/walk when your children are at their practices? Your daily goal is 10,000 steps per day!!Share it!
- "I was impressed with the knowledge foundation that our instructors have and their commitment to fitness and OUR health. They really have educated themselves on how to train us safely and effectively. I have been able to learn quite a bit from them and have been able to improve my ability to help others through their knowledge". Dr. Scott Strasburger "When I first started the boot camp sessions my goal was to just lose a few pounds and be done. However, after 3 weeks I started noticing changes that I’ve never experienced before and was hooked. I’ve been amazed at my experience ever since. Steve’s sessions are more than just a work-out; they’re educational and full of support. Prior to working with Steve I rarely ate breakfast, snacked on foods I considered healthy because they were low-fat and drank anywhere from 4 to 6 cans of diet soda each day. He taught me that exercising and eating the right type of foods combined is a recipe for success. I’ve learned the importance of drinking lots of water, eating breakfast every morning, eating regularly and eating good protein each day. I highly recommend Steve and his N-10sive Boot Camp training sessions to anyone looking for a way to change their body quickly and permanently. His sessions are educational, personable and fun! " "Boot camp was an important part of my 6 weeks transformation. Steve was able to push me to the next level and beyond. Being comfortable with my workouts and diet has been the key. Being a mother of 4 and working full time as an Occupational Therapist you have to make exercise and diet just as important as anything else. It is easy to eat fast food those quick meals the kids like. It takes time to get up early to workout before the kids are up, make a special lunch for work, and get a meal started fro the evening but that is what it takes. In the past I did not have the tools to adequately push me to see results as I have seen and will continue to see. With the changes Steve has helped me make not only has my body changed my family has benefited by the nutrition and having a happier, healthier mom. If you have the desire and drive...you will see results! Be ready for a new you. "I've carried around extra weight for years and have not been in the best shape. Steve developed a program just for me and helped me lose weight and worked on some of my other fitness issues. I've lost and kept off 25 pounds and do not have back pain like I used to have. In addition, I feel my overall health is better!. I highly recommend Steve." Randy Bretz- Marketing and Sales Associate "Steve is a fantastic personal trainer who both inspires and instills confidence in his clients to help them reach their fitness goals. He is extremely knowledgeable about the best ways to combine diet and exercise to improve his clients' overall health and well-being." Katherine Brandenburg- Marketing Communications and Public Relations Professional "Four years ago I started power lifting under Steven Auxier's direction. In that time he has helped me accomplish gains in strength that I never thought possible. Steve can see ones potential and safely help them set and surpass their goals. Since starting this sport he has helped me add almost 400# to my total pounds lifted and is responsible for my current 2nd place ranking in the United States for my division. Because of his coaching, I've actualized a dream of being a part of a United States team, something I would have never imagined! " Barbara Sieps- National and World Champion, American and World Record Holder "As a physical therapist, I have times where I refer patients on to a personal trainer to continue their exercise progression as well as to help return them to sports. I have referred patients to Steve because I have seen the knowledge that he possesses as well as the dedication to his clients. Steve is a hard worker and tailors his clients workouts to their specific needs and goals. He is constantly reading about and researching the latest advances in exercise and nutrition which keeps him on the cutting edge and allows his clients to see great results." Rob Kobza, Physical Therapist, Snyder Physical Therapy <em>"I have just completed my 6th week of training with Steve Auxier. The strength program that Steve has developed has improved my tennis game incredibly by focusing on my weaker areas of my game! My first step to the ball is quicker, I have more strength in my forehand and my endurance has really changed!" Zach Northey- US Tennis Circuit Competitor "As a competitive powerlifter, my training is unique. Steve is able to target specific improvements in both my technique and training cycles over and over again. For the past 4 years, I have continuously made significant gains in each of my lifts - which is quite an accomplishment! Not only that, but he inspires me everyday to become a better athlete." Kelli Lambert- Silver Medalist USAPL Bench Press Nationals "I do not have as much free time in the summer to drive to Lincoln to meet with Steve. During golf season we focus on flexibility and core work and then he switches my program to building strength in the off season. My long game in golf has improved substantially." Dr. Larry Carlsson- Omaha Nebraska "Dear Steve, Year end of 2008 is a good opportunity for me to thank you for all the effort you've put in to helping myself, my husband and my office staff live healthier, happier, more productive lives. You have definitely gone above and beyond in accommodating our limited facilities and time and given us a thorough workout every week. We all appreciate the variety in your presentation of the different parts of our workout and the feeling after each session that Every muscle of our being has received its individual attention. We can all attest (and readily tell anyone who asks) to the fact that we are stronger, more flexible and have more endurance than almost 2 years ago when we started working with you INSTEAD of now feeling "older"! Thank you--We appreciate you." Donna M. Howe, DDSShare it!
In 2017 You Will Look And Feel Your BEST!!! In 2016 Good Life Fitness Was Picked In The TOP 50 BEST Gyms In America AND #1 Gym In Nebraska By Men's Health Magazine!! Good Life Fitness Also Won BEST "Place To Feel A Burn" And #1 Gym In Customer Service In Lincoln!!! We Pride On Being A Locally Owned/Operated Business And PRIDE On Customer Service!! NOW With Our 2nd Location OPEN On 84th Highway 2...Come Check Out Good Life Fitness For A FREE Week With NO High Pressure Sales, NO 1,2, OR 3 Year Contracts, And NO Rate Increase Once You Join!!! We Are Dedicated To Your Fitness Success In 2017!!!!!!!! Share it!
Lindsay Goodenberger- Client Of Bryant Travis At Good Life Fitness/N-10sive Boot Camps we are dedicated to motivate and educate our clients by improving the quality of their life. Let our certified personal trainers and fat loss specialist custom design your fitness plan specific to your goals!! To maximize your results let one our fat loss specialists custom design your nutrition program with our award winning Shred Nutrition Program. The key to long term health and fitness is to focus on ONE MEAL, ONE WORKOUT, ONE DAY AT A TIME. We help individuals perform at their best, regardless of age or fitness level. We do not implement one standard fitness program for all our clients. With today’s busy lifestyle we realize the need for convenience and bringing fitness right to you. We offer many different types of customized packages to fit your individual needs. If it is a change in your fitness routine or daily accountability, we can provide that extra motivation. Check out our 30 minute metabolic personal training for busy people! Jill Shemek- Client Of Bryant Travis NOW Offering TEAM Training UP To 10 People Our Trainers Specialties Include:
- Senior Resistance Training
- Injury Prevention
- HIIT Interval Training
- Pre/Post New Mom Training
- Company Wellness
- Core Training
- Post Rehabilitation Training
- Sports Specific Youth Training
Joining a gym should not be like buying a cell phone with LONG term contracts and commitments!!! Here Is Why Your Family/Friends Will Love Good Life Fitness!!! Good Life Fitness is unique in that we do NOT have the following commitments:
- EXTRA Fees For Child Care ( All children under 12 are FREE)
- NO 1,2, OR 3 Year Gym Contracts
- NO Rate Increase Once You Join OR Annually
- NO Cancellation OR Buyout Fees To Get Out Of Your Long Term Gym Contracts.
- NO EXTRA Facility Charge To Use Another Location
YES Skinny Jean Season is here!!! Check out this short little workout to help you look and feel your best!!! Part 1. Bodyweight//Light Dumbbell Lower Body Workout Bring on the Daisy Duke short shorts. This 15 minute booty blasting workout will bring out those sexy curves from your butt right down to your calves. Exercise #1: Forward lunges stepping forward: Hold additional dumbbells for extra intensity. Complete 15-20 per leg depending on your fitness level! Short se #2: High bench step ups: Choose a box 12-24inches high. Hold additional dumbbells for extra intensity. Keep foot up on box until desired reps are completed. Complete 15-20 reps per leg depending on your fitness level. Short Burst #2: Mountain Climbers: Complete 15-20 per leg. Really make long strides to maximize the butt, hamstrings, and hips! Repeat this sequence 3x Exercise #3: RDL's: Using dumbbells ranging from 5-20# for extra intensity. Keep a tight flat back, look straight ahead, slight knee bend. Push hips back and lower the dumbbells to mid shin level. Really try to keep your weight on your heels of your foot. Squeeze the hamstrings and butt at the top. Complete 15-20 reps depending on your fitness level. Short Burst#3: Burpees: Perform for 30 seconds: Start upright and lower yourself into kneeling position then push feet back into a pushup position. Then hop legs back into the kneeling position and thrust upwards with feet leaving the floor. The key is consistency of technique before intensity. KEEP ABS TIGHT AND HAVE SOFT KNEES WHEN LANDING:) Complete 3x Exercise #4: Dirty dogs: Have you ever watched a male dog pee on a fire hydrant:) Basically kneeling on the ground keep your knee angled and elevate your leg upwards. Go slow! Perform 15-20 repetitions per leg Short Burst#4: Ice skaters: Perform for 30 seconds. The ice skater really targets the outer hips and thighs. This is a good plyometric movement. The best desription is leaping back and forth side to side. Keep on your toes! Repeat 2x Exercise #5: Wide stance squats: The squats with a wider than shoulder width stance, toes angled outwards with target inner thighs, glutes, hamstrings, and quadriceps. Perform 15-30 repetitions depending on your fitness level. Use additional weight with dumbbells, medicine balls, or barbell weight. Short Burst# 5 Cheerleader jumps: This exercise is AWESOME! Place feet heel to toe formation. Squat down and jump upwards. Make sure to land with a soft knee. Perform for 30 seconds Repeat 2x Burst#1: High knees in place for 30 seconds Repeat this sequence 3x Share it!
Top tips to help break the stubborn weight loss plateau!!! YES the secrets of dropping 5#- 20# in 100 days. Now I know you were hoping for me to say in 2 weeks or 30 days but as you know I am not about fad diets, weight loss formulas, or bogus supplement schemes advertised to the be the answer to your problems. These methods produce short term results but NOT long term fitness success. With the New Year right around the corner you will be enticed to jump on ship to the quick fix schemes and YES they are tempting but stay clear as they are not the answer to fixing you long term. The secret is hard work, consistency, and dedication to your nutrition and those 3 will direct you to the right path of success. Every fitness challenge that we at Good Life Fitness have placed together has fitness tools installed and they work every time!! So many people have dropped 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 40+ pounds of body weight and well over 2 pant sizes in a short time of 100 days. Did they take weight loss supplements…NO?!? Did they have a nutrition program that was designed around supplements or frozen food to promote their success….NO?!? Did they have to sign a contract to hit these goals….NO?!? All of the competitors achieved these results with accountability, nutrition consulting, a well designed program by a certified personal trainer, group support, and yes HARD work!! Accountability- Yes accountability is key. Methods as checking in with co workers, social media, friends/family, nutrition accountability are key. All competitors of the challenges use a calendar system to record their workouts. Nutrition Logging- I highly recommend using www.myfitnesspal.com or even a diary to track your nutrition. This is key as many are unaware of how many calories they consume or what their macronutrient balance is. Many guestimate (sp) on their calories and many are 12-20% to too high or too low. If you bite it…then write it. Personal Training- Yes many of the competitors use the fitness boot camps who are taught by a certified personal trainer at a highly discounted rate. Many also used personal trainers to custom design their fitness program for the weight room and to evaluate their programs. Many of the competitors or boot camp members are veterans. Having a program that is designed specifically for your goals is key. Nutrition Consulting- During the challenge so many mentioned that the key was having Karissa, Tara, Christy, Kurtis, Jamie, Jim, Bryant, Natalie, Dani and Ryan custom design their nutrition program and provide feedback along the way and make changes. Hard Work- I am a fan of doing it the old fashioned way. Hard work and no short cuts is the key for long term success. I truly believe when you work hard for something and you put in your sweat and tears this has more impact for long term fitness success!!!Share it!