Short term pain for long term gain! In order to achieve what other’s haven’t you must be willing to make sacrifices that others won’t. Unfortunately in the beginning these are short term pain. Every successful fitness transformation requires short term painful sacrifices that really make the major difference in long term success. TOP tips for surviving the FIRST 21 days of fitness!!!! 1. Hitting The Snooze Button– Yes the snooze button in the morning can be your big obstacle. By waking up 10 minutes early each day this can be the deciding factor to give you enough time to eat your balanced out breakfast! No more drive through or sugar packed breakfast bars. 2. Exercising In The Morning- Studies show a 90% success rate for people that exercise in the early morning before work. If life gets in the way then you must make it a priority no matter what to exercise first thing in the morning. The old saying ” Early bird gets the worm”:) 3. Pack Your Lunch– If you try to wing your lunch you will make bad choices that are not on your program. Co-workers and friends can easily influence you with your guard down. Take the extra time each night to prepare your lunch for the following day. Fail to plan to plan to fail:) 4. Starting A Fitness Program– Yes this is short term pain with long term gains. Everybody struggles in the beginning. Nobody is bullet proof from first time soreness. I truely believe this is mentally tough for exercisers trying to start up again with their fitness program. Nobody likes to be sore or struggling to breath. Our bodies are a creature of habit and will adjust within 2 weeks. Just get through the beginning stages:)) 5. Switching Your Food Choices– Yes we love salt, sugar and fat! Yes the temptations are killers but are you willing to fight through the temptations to get where you want to be? Our bodies are constantly trying to reward and comfort. Set your mindset for cruise control and fight off the battles of temptations! Short term pain for long term gain!! 6. Cooking And Grocery Shopping- Yes cooking is a short term pain with long term gains. I know many claim they have limited culinary skills. Another short term pain is cleaning the kitchen and grocery shopping. To look and feel your best I can guarantee you that eating out for your meals will produce NO results of lean sculpted body. Take the extra time and experiment with herbs and spices. Also I highly recommend the cookbook Eating For Life and TasteofMai.blogspot.com for creative healthy recipes. 7. Fear– Yes FEAR is our #1 killer of long term gains in fitness! Many fear the fact of failure in fitness. It is much easier to use fear as an obstacle to keep you from reaching your potential. Many fear of looking out of place in the gym environment. I highly recommend the group setting of fitness boot camps, group x classes, and also seeking the guidance of a qualified personal trainer. REMEMBER everyone no matter how experienced they are in fitness has felt the fear of the new gym environment. This fear is a short term pain for long term gains.Share it!
Winter time mindless eating. Have you ever watched a shark during a feeding frenzy? It is quite impressive to watch how fast they can consume that much food in such a short amount of time! Does this sound familiar? Watch people on low carbohydrate diets fall off the wagon with the first taste of sweets, people at restaurant buffets, holiday dinners, and special occasions that provide indulging temptations. How do we avoid these messups and how do we recover from these bad situations? Here are some tips that I provide my clients with to recognize triggering temptations and how to get back on track.
- Protein at breakfast. It is very important to start your day with protein and complex carbohydrates. If you calculate the amount of hours from your last meal to breakfast this amounts to at least 8+ hours without any food source. Skipping breakfast will sink you into an fasted state which will cause major cravings later in the day and most importantly a lack of energy causing you to grab that sugar food for fast energy.
- Skipping to many hours between meals. To keep our metabolism at its fullest fat burning potential it is critical to eat on a regular schedule of every 3-4 hours. When we skip to many hours in between meals our body looks for an quick energy source, sugar. This sends our blood sugar on a roller coaster to temptation heaven.
- Fail to plan then plan to fail. Failing to plan out your meals in advance is like operating your computer without McAfee protection. You are setting yourself up for failure and temptations of major marketing campaigns. These campaigns are trying to get you to fail when you are vulnerable. Write and prepare your meals in advance and carry them with you in cooler if needed to keep you bullet proof.
- Fix the tire. If you fall off the bike get back up and try again. If you get a flat tire then fix it. Commonly I see so many people slip up on one meal and totally give up and blow the whole day with bad meals. It is okay, just start over with the next meal.
- Every day is a new day. What happened yesterday is the past. You can not change the past so there is no need to vent about having that bad meal or falling off track. Each day is a new day by bettering yourself with healthy food and exercise. Try to picture each meal and workout laying the foundation of your future health. Be good to your body because where are you going live when you wear your body out from making unhealthy choices?
The frustration of unwanted ugly belly fat! Many people truly look to quick fix nutrition programs and fat burning supplements as the answer of the stubborn midsection! This blog was the #1 viewed blog of 2010 that I had posted so I wanted to share it again just in time for spring:)) Shredded, wash board, razor cuts…these are lifelong dreams of many fitness enthusiasts. I personally view a lean firm stomach as a testimonial of one’s dedication to their nutrition and training. I receive many emails a day from people seeking advice on training their stomach. Here is a list of the Top 7 questions about achieving those razor cut abs! Also a bonus question at the end:)) Question #1: Do we have an upper and lower abdomen? Answer: No. A lot times I think we feel that we have two separate sections of the abdominal. Our rectus abodominal muscle is actually all one main muscle. The reason we often see the upper abdominals contract and burn more is because of the muscle fibers in this region. The upper abdominal muscle fibers shorten more during abdominal movements but actually the whole abdomen does contract. Proper nutrition, cardiovascular training and your core program is important! Question #2: Why can I not see my abs yet? I do a ton of abdominal crunches but I still can not see my abs! Answer: Remember you can not spot train. Basically what this means is that we can not burn fat out of certain regions of our body. Now i do believe that we should put extra focus on those stubborn areas to help them pick up the pace:) It is very important that we balance out our fitness instead of just trying to work on our problem spots. According to a study done at the University of Massachusetts. A group of men did the equivalent of 5,000 sit ups in 27 days and did not lose any body fat from their abdomen. The key is your cardiovascular, nutrition, and your training program. Question #3: What is the best abdominal exercise? Answer: This is a tough question. My theory is that we must incorporate the posterior side of the body into the abdominal movement. So I personally believe the two best movements are the abdominal plank and the v-up crunch. Both of these movements incorporate the whole rectus abdominus and lower erectior spinae. Question #4: Should I always train my abs at the end of the workout? Answer: Personally I am a fan of mixing abdominal movements in to the middle of the workout. Remember our body is a creature of habit. We are trying to break the principle of adaptation. So a good mixup is important. Try doing your stomach first. Be careful on leg day! If you fatigue your lower back before squats or deadlifts you must be cautious! Question #5: Can I use weights on my ab exercises? Answer: Yes, I would try to master technique first before increasing the intensity with weights. The key is technique then intensity! Question #6: How often can I train my abs? Answer: No research has shown that we can overtrain our stomach. Personally I train my stomach multiple times per day. The military and top athletes in the world train their abdomen daily! Question #7: Does side bends with dumbbells reduce my love handles? Answer: Unfortunately this does not work. This movement actually works the lateral range of motion in your spine. The key to reducing these areas is proper diet and your cardiovascular program. Bonus Question: If you would change one thing in my diet what would you do? Wow: Tough question…honestly I say there are 3 main keys. Work on eliminating all simple sugars, meal spacing, and work on increasing your lean protein. Share it!
The other day I was walking around the grocery store and was just shocked how strategically the store was layout. It seems that the average small town grocery store is a thing of the past and are now being replaced with huge super centers. I am now able to do my dry cleaning, banking, drink coffee, eat Mc Donalds, change my oil and even cut my hair all in a grocery store! Well here is the secret…the longer they can keep you in the store the more products you will purchase. With this in mind, I have come up with 10 grocery shopping tips to help us stay on track to reaching your goals.
- Never shop hungry! Have you ever noticed that food that normally is not appealing all of sudden sounds really good? You will be tempted to purchase junk food and what I call “mindless food“. These include chips, crackers, candy bars, and other little snack grabbers. So avoid this at all costs!
- Shop on the outside isles. Over 80% of the foods that you want to eat are on the outside isles of the store. Foods like mixed green salad, lean meats, dairy products, vegetables, and fruits are always located on the outside isles.
- Shop from a grocery list. Use the 30 Day Shredded Diet grocery list. Stick to your list. Over 40 percent of supermarket purchases are made on impulse thinking. Stick to your guns!
- Stay away from the inside isles. Here is a true fact. Grocery stores regulate the heat on the outside isles. They purposely heat in the inside isles more to keep you there longer. The outside is always colder. The inside isles have all of the junk food. Be careful!
- Check out temptations! With children I notice this a ton! As we are stuck in line surrounded by candy bars, lolly pops, beef jerky, energy drinks, magazine tabloids, and other “mindless” foods the temptations rise tremendously! Be careful.
- Choose foods wisely. One rule I live by is that I always choose foods with one ingredient or no label. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the package then avoid it. Probably not good for you!
- Hurry Up! Have you ever noticed the music in stores? Supermarkets play down-tempo music to make you move slower and enjoy your shopping experience. Marketing to get you to stay longer!
- Be careful in the cereal isle. Companies pay big money for their prime spots on the shelves. Have you ever noticed that all of the Disney characters are strategically placed at childrens height? They are marketing to your children. Sneaky, huh? Yes the healthy cereals are up high or way low. The fruit snacks are right at eye sight level for children to see also.
- Why is the dairy case clear in the back? Well this is strategically done as well. Normally we are tempted to buy more as we walk to the back of the store. Normally you will leave with more than just milk.
- Online grocery shopping. Have you ever tried to shop with 3 small children screaming and wanting everything in the store? Well it is not pleasant!! My wife found the online grocery shopping experience to be very convenient. A current study showed that people purchased 28% less calorie dense foods when shopping online. Give it a try!
Good Life Fitness now offers sports specific youth training for individual or small group with numbers not exceeding 7. Schedule today your FREE fitness consultation today. Youth Sports Training Program Each child, or group, will have a specific training program specific to their needs as athletes. We will do fitness testing during the first session measuring strength and speed, and then periodically throughout their training program to monitor progress. This program will contain strength, endurance, agility, plyometric and speed training specific to each athlete and sport. Our goal is to use this more individualized training to instill proper technique and enhance skill level in the athlete, so they can carry this on to their sport. AGILITY TRAINING: Agility training as an athlete is very important. From youth athletics all the way up to professional, it is very important. For example, some benefits:
- Aids in injury prevention
- Improve multi-planar coordination
- Increase heart rate and blood flow
- Increase mind-body connection
- Increase bone density
- Increase calories burned while resting
- Increase muscle tone
- Increase explosiveness
- Increase calorie burn
- Improve your VO2 max, or your body’s ability to use oxygen
- Increase your body’s ability to oxidize fat
- Trim time off of your running/sprinting times
- Increase explosiveness
- Increase strength and efficiency of fast twitch muscle fibers
- Improve maximal strength performance
- Increase stamina
- Increase speed and power
Yes believe it or not but lack of movement is labeled as the "silent killer". If you really look at your daily activity you might find a big majority is "sitting" .Yes we have become a screen viewing society and many just lack movement with a combination of poor nutrition is a DEADLY combo. As you are aware, I’m sure, people who work in an office tend to sit down ALL DAY LONG, and even if they have worked out in the morning (like at your boot camp), they still might be very sedentary during the day. Here’s a typical example: Get up and go to Steve’s boot camp with your day starting at 4:30a.m. If you look at your life schedule with children. It could be even more lack of activity. Driving children to their activities and sitting and watching activities..in general we have become even more inactive the more involved our children become. On the go makes us even more open to grabbing food on the go and foods with preservatives. 4:30a.m -5:00 – SIT in car on way to Good Life Fitness 5:00-6:00am -- Boot Camp at Good Life Fitness 6:00-6:30am – SIT in car going home 6:30-7:30 – ready for work 7:30-8:00 – SIT to go to work 8:00-11:30 – SIT at work 11:30-12:30 – lunch (SIT most of it) 12:30-5:00 SIT at work 5:00-5:30 – SIT on the way home 5:30-bedtime – dinner, SIT to read/watch tv/help kids with homework, e.t.c. That’s 11 hours of sitting, not including the sitting time after 5:30p.m. Lack of activity...YES belly fat and flat butt syndrome:) Amazing when you really break down your daily activity like above. GOALS: Get up and move around through out the day. How about a ergonomic desk that allows you to stand? How about taking a walk or better yet go to the gym over your lunch hour? How about go for a run/walk when your children are at their practices? Your daily goal is 10,000 steps per day!!Share it!
OVER 55 million people start on their fitness goals January...BUT over 80% fail in 6 weeks...BUT do we really ever fail?!? Hopefully you have NOT joined a health club and signed a 1,2, or 3 year contract:) How is your year 2017 going? Like many we are all doing our best to push ourselves when we workout. I have been witnessing many in the gym with a new level of motivation to meet their 2017 goals. But that warm bed, on a winter morning, is a hard one to part with mentally and physically. Yesterday, we received tips on avoiding the food cravings….how about we determine the tips for MOTIVATING ourselves to Work Out and to overcome that craving to stay in bed or relax on the couch? And just like food cravings the same applies to our workouts, “The magic number in fitness transformations is 12 weeks! If you can stay dedicated for this period of time you will notice remarkable changes. In the fitness world the statistic shows a 65% failure rate around 12 weeks. On a brighter note…remember nobody fails in fitness. You will work on your fitness EVERY single day of your life!” The top ten motivators that have worked for me: 1. Set goals that will motivate YOU and write them down. Read it daily, these goals will be very powerful for you when you are working out and keep you moving forward. 2. Tell a friend and provide them with your written goals….what’s better than having more accountability. 3. Get a Workout Partner or find someone in the gym that pushes you to give it your best and makes you want more or will keep you coming. 4. Know any one that may think you can’t do it…..prove them wrong and enjoy the look you get as you progress. This could be a huge factor for you to not decide to miss workout. 5. Motivate yourself with the programs you like to do or that work best for you. We like the path of least resistance. If it isn’t something you like or challenging you will find a million reasons to do something else. 6. Think of your work outs as opportunities or as small tasks. It can be mentally easier to motivate yourself to commit for 30 or 60 minutes, one day, one week or one month. 7. Set a schedule that is convenient and works for you. Always have the attitude to not alter that schedule for something or someone, this is my time! 8. Think positive. You will have some challenging days and you may experience some awkward moves and discomfort. Focus on what you can do; it will improve because you desire to make it work for you. Workouts should make you happy! 9. The euphoria after an intense workout. At first you may feel dogged, maybe beaten but eventually it is the GREATEST feeling when you recognize that you put it all out there, you gave your best and that is the ultimate satisfaction! Enjoy this emotional high it is a motivational boost. 10. You want it, you need it and most of all you DESERVE to be healthier and fitter!!Share it!
- "I was impressed with the knowledge foundation that our instructors have and their commitment to fitness and OUR health. They really have educated themselves on how to train us safely and effectively. I have been able to learn quite a bit from them and have been able to improve my ability to help others through their knowledge". Dr. Scott Strasburger "When I first started the boot camp sessions my goal was to just lose a few pounds and be done. However, after 3 weeks I started noticing changes that I’ve never experienced before and was hooked. I’ve been amazed at my experience ever since. Steve’s sessions are more than just a work-out; they’re educational and full of support. Prior to working with Steve I rarely ate breakfast, snacked on foods I considered healthy because they were low-fat and drank anywhere from 4 to 6 cans of diet soda each day. He taught me that exercising and eating the right type of foods combined is a recipe for success. I’ve learned the importance of drinking lots of water, eating breakfast every morning, eating regularly and eating good protein each day. I highly recommend Steve and his N-10sive Boot Camp training sessions to anyone looking for a way to change their body quickly and permanently. His sessions are educational, personable and fun! " "Boot camp was an important part of my 6 weeks transformation. Steve was able to push me to the next level and beyond. Being comfortable with my workouts and diet has been the key. Being a mother of 4 and working full time as an Occupational Therapist you have to make exercise and diet just as important as anything else. It is easy to eat fast food those quick meals the kids like. It takes time to get up early to workout before the kids are up, make a special lunch for work, and get a meal started fro the evening but that is what it takes. In the past I did not have the tools to adequately push me to see results as I have seen and will continue to see. With the changes Steve has helped me make not only has my body changed my family has benefited by the nutrition and having a happier, healthier mom. If you have the desire and drive...you will see results! Be ready for a new you. "I've carried around extra weight for years and have not been in the best shape. Steve developed a program just for me and helped me lose weight and worked on some of my other fitness issues. I've lost and kept off 25 pounds and do not have back pain like I used to have. In addition, I feel my overall health is better!. I highly recommend Steve." Randy Bretz- Marketing and Sales Associate "Steve is a fantastic personal trainer who both inspires and instills confidence in his clients to help them reach their fitness goals. He is extremely knowledgeable about the best ways to combine diet and exercise to improve his clients' overall health and well-being." Katherine Brandenburg- Marketing Communications and Public Relations Professional "Four years ago I started power lifting under Steven Auxier's direction. In that time he has helped me accomplish gains in strength that I never thought possible. Steve can see ones potential and safely help them set and surpass their goals. Since starting this sport he has helped me add almost 400# to my total pounds lifted and is responsible for my current 2nd place ranking in the United States for my division. Because of his coaching, I've actualized a dream of being a part of a United States team, something I would have never imagined! " Barbara Sieps- National and World Champion, American and World Record Holder "As a physical therapist, I have times where I refer patients on to a personal trainer to continue their exercise progression as well as to help return them to sports. I have referred patients to Steve because I have seen the knowledge that he possesses as well as the dedication to his clients. Steve is a hard worker and tailors his clients workouts to their specific needs and goals. He is constantly reading about and researching the latest advances in exercise and nutrition which keeps him on the cutting edge and allows his clients to see great results." Rob Kobza, Physical Therapist, Snyder Physical Therapy <em>"I have just completed my 6th week of training with Steve Auxier. The strength program that Steve has developed has improved my tennis game incredibly by focusing on my weaker areas of my game! My first step to the ball is quicker, I have more strength in my forehand and my endurance has really changed!" Zach Northey- US Tennis Circuit Competitor "As a competitive powerlifter, my training is unique. Steve is able to target specific improvements in both my technique and training cycles over and over again. For the past 4 years, I have continuously made significant gains in each of my lifts - which is quite an accomplishment! Not only that, but he inspires me everyday to become a better athlete." Kelli Lambert- Silver Medalist USAPL Bench Press Nationals "I do not have as much free time in the summer to drive to Lincoln to meet with Steve. During golf season we focus on flexibility and core work and then he switches my program to building strength in the off season. My long game in golf has improved substantially." Dr. Larry Carlsson- Omaha Nebraska "Dear Steve, Year end of 2008 is a good opportunity for me to thank you for all the effort you've put in to helping myself, my husband and my office staff live healthier, happier, more productive lives. You have definitely gone above and beyond in accommodating our limited facilities and time and given us a thorough workout every week. We all appreciate the variety in your presentation of the different parts of our workout and the feeling after each session that Every muscle of our being has received its individual attention. We can all attest (and readily tell anyone who asks) to the fact that we are stronger, more flexible and have more endurance than almost 2 years ago when we started working with you INSTEAD of now feeling "older"! Thank you--We appreciate you." Donna M. Howe, DDSShare it!
In 2017 You Will Look And Feel Your BEST!!! In 2016 Good Life Fitness Was Picked In The TOP 50 BEST Gyms In America AND #1 Gym In Nebraska By Men's Health Magazine!! Good Life Fitness Also Won BEST "Place To Feel A Burn" And #1 Gym In Customer Service In Lincoln!!! We Pride On Being A Locally Owned/Operated Business And PRIDE On Customer Service!! NOW With Our 2nd Location OPEN On 84th Highway 2...Come Check Out Good Life Fitness For A FREE Week With NO High Pressure Sales, NO 1,2, OR 3 Year Contracts, And NO Rate Increase Once You Join!!! We Are Dedicated To Your Fitness Success In 2017!!!!!!!! Share it!