Short term pain for long term gain! In order to achieve what other’s haven’t you must be willing to make sacrifices that others won’t. Unfortunately in the beginning these are short term pain. Every successful fitness transformation requires short term painful sacrifices that really make the major difference in long term success. TOP tips for surviving the FIRST 21 days of fitness!!!! 1. Hitting The Snooze Button– Yes the snooze button in the morning can be your big obstacle. By waking up 10 minutes early each day this can be the deciding factor to give you enough time to eat your balanced out breakfast! No more drive through or sugar packed breakfast bars. 2. Exercising In The Morning- Studies show a 90% success rate for people that exercise in the early morning before work. If life gets in the way then you must make it a priority no matter what to exercise first thing in the morning. The old saying ” Early bird gets the worm”:) 3. Pack Your Lunch– If you try to wing your lunch you will make bad choices that are not on your program. Co-workers and friends can easily influence you with your guard down. Take the extra time each night to prepare your lunch for the following day. Fail to plan to plan to fail:) 4. Starting A Fitness Program– Yes this is short term pain with long term gains. Everybody struggles in the beginning. Nobody is bullet proof from first time soreness. I truely believe this is mentally tough for exercisers trying to start up again with their fitness program. Nobody likes to be sore or struggling to breath. Our bodies are a creature of habit and will adjust within 2 weeks. Just get through the beginning stages:)) 5. Switching Your Food Choices– Yes we love salt, sugar and fat! Yes the temptations are killers but are you willing to fight through the temptations to get where you want to be? Our bodies are constantly trying to reward and comfort. Set your mindset for cruise control and fight off the battles of temptations! Short term pain for long term gain!! 6. Cooking And Grocery Shopping- Yes cooking is a short term pain with long term gains. I know many claim they have limited culinary skills. Another short term pain is cleaning the kitchen and grocery shopping. To look and feel your best I can guarantee you that eating out for your meals will produce NO results of lean sculpted body. Take the extra time and experiment with herbs and spices. Also I highly recommend the cookbook Eating For Life and TasteofMai.blogspot.com for creative healthy recipes. 7. Fear– Yes FEAR is our #1 killer of long term gains in fitness! Many fear the fact of failure in fitness. It is much easier to use fear as an obstacle to keep you from reaching your potential. Many fear of looking out of place in the gym environment. I highly recommend the group setting of fitness boot camps, group x classes, and also seeking the guidance of a qualified personal trainer. REMEMBER everyone no matter how experienced they are in fitness has felt the fear of the new gym environment. This fear is a short term pain for long term gains.Share it!
Winter time mindless eating. Have you ever watched a shark during a feeding frenzy? It is quite impressive to watch how fast they can consume that much food in such a short amount of time! Does this sound familiar? Watch people on low carbohydrate diets fall off the wagon with the first taste of sweets, people at restaurant buffets, holiday dinners, and special occasions that provide indulging temptations. How do we avoid these messups and how do we recover from these bad situations? Here are some tips that I provide my clients with to recognize triggering temptations and how to get back on track.
- Protein at breakfast. It is very important to start your day with protein and complex carbohydrates. If you calculate the amount of hours from your last meal to breakfast this amounts to at least 8+ hours without any food source. Skipping breakfast will sink you into an fasted state which will cause major cravings later in the day and most importantly a lack of energy causing you to grab that sugar food for fast energy.
- Skipping to many hours between meals. To keep our metabolism at its fullest fat burning potential it is critical to eat on a regular schedule of every 3-4 hours. When we skip to many hours in between meals our body looks for an quick energy source, sugar. This sends our blood sugar on a roller coaster to temptation heaven.
- Fail to plan then plan to fail. Failing to plan out your meals in advance is like operating your computer without McAfee protection. You are setting yourself up for failure and temptations of major marketing campaigns. These campaigns are trying to get you to fail when you are vulnerable. Write and prepare your meals in advance and carry them with you in cooler if needed to keep you bullet proof.
- Fix the tire. If you fall off the bike get back up and try again. If you get a flat tire then fix it. Commonly I see so many people slip up on one meal and totally give up and blow the whole day with bad meals. It is okay, just start over with the next meal.
- Every day is a new day. What happened yesterday is the past. You can not change the past so there is no need to vent about having that bad meal or falling off track. Each day is a new day by bettering yourself with healthy food and exercise. Try to picture each meal and workout laying the foundation of your future health. Be good to your body because where are you going live when you wear your body out from making unhealthy choices?
With the New Year's HERE and fitness is on the minds of EVERYONE!! Making the best decision for your fitness success can sometimes be very stressful. Millions of people will search for personal trainers in studio and in home, join health clubs, and seek the assistance of nutritionist. When shopping for health clubs, boot camps/group fitness programs, and programs that are offered just for a short time frame of 6 weeks, 10 weeks, or 12 weeks here are a few questions to consider to help you make the best decision.
- Does the club have month/month memberships? Does The RATE Increase On You YEARLY?!?
- Does the club have 1 year ,2 year OR 3 memberships options? -
- Does the club have sneaky sales promotion to get you in the door to learn it was NOT what you thought?
- Does the club have first/last month dues up front? Does the club have YEARLY improvement fees
- Does the club have high pressure sales with commission driven sales people? Do they call you daily/weekly/monthly?
- Does the club have scenarios if you join now we will waive your initiation fees and other dues only if you join the FIRST day?
- Does the club have hidden facility fees?
- Does the club have cancellation fees?
- Does the club allow children on the weight room floor under 12?
- Does the club allow its members to go shirt less and shoes are not required? Does the club allow members to drop barbells and dumbbells?
- Does the club have the hours available for you and for the child care?
- Does the club have FREE child care?
- Does your club have child care?
- Does your club have lockers/showers?
- Does your club offer enough group fitness or fitness boot camp classes to work for your schedule?
Goals! Goals, goals, goals, goals, goals and more goals! Yes from the beginning of our lives, we have been taught about setting goals to achieve! I think alot of people have good intentions to succeed, but they just talk about them. In order to succeed you must write daily, weekly, monthly, 6 month, 1 year, and 5 year goals! You must write these goals down! I personally write my goals down on my desk to basically keep me striving both mentally and physically! My former training partner even put my #1 goal on my screen saver of my cell phone!!! Now talk about a reminder!!!! A goals that is not put down on paper is just a DREAM! Afraid Of False Starting! Fitness is very confusing! The fitness community has produced over 10,000 books that proclaim they have the answer to everyone’s problems! Now what about all the fad diets, fad supplements, fad fitness programs! WOW A TON OF CONFUSION!!! I believe that a mass majority of people have confused their bodies and their minds with clutter!! We have to sort through all of the spider webs and start on a proven path of fitness success!! THE ANSWER TO FITNESS IS TO FOLLOW A SOUND FITNESS AND NUTRITIONAL PLAN THAT WILL DELIVER RESULTS FOR REAL PEOPLE!!Share it!
We Are EXCITED To Announce Our 1 Year Anniversary For The NEW Good Life Fitness On 84th Highway 2!!!! We Are Celebrating With Our HUGE Membership And Personal Training Specials!!! Thank You Lincoln And Surrounding Communities For All Of Your Support For Allowing Good Life Fitness The Opportunity To Assist You All On Your Fitness Goals!!! Gym Only Membership: ONLY $22.99/mo Gym Plus Group Fitness: ONLY $27.99/mo Fitness Boot Camp: ONLY $99/mo All Memberships Include: : Access To Both Good Life Fitness Locations : FREE Tanning : FREE Child Care : Full Cardio/Weight Room : HUGE Women's ONLY Fitness Room SPECIAL: Expires December 16th At 10p.m. certain restrictions apply.Share it!
So many become FRUSTRATED or EXCITED to see how many calories they are burning during interval, boot camp, and/or group fitness classes!! Check out the tip of the day from Good Life Fitness personal trainer Bryant Travis Tip of the Day: Don't judge the quality of your training off of a device that estimates your caloric expenditure(Cardio equipment, HRM, Garmin, etc.). As they are not exact and can vary with accuracy from workout to workout. These devices use heart rate to determine caloric expenditure. Which makes them fairly accurate when it comes to aerobic exercise, but they can be drastically off when it comes to anaerobic exercise(strength training, sprints, etc.). Heart rate can be manipulated by adrenaline, anxiety, sleep deprivation, drugs and many other variables that do not equate to more calories burned. These devices can be fun and motivating to track your workouts, but do not think just because it says you burned less calories the workout was inferior.Share it!
Today's AWESOMESAUCE Award goes out to Kim Dillon! " Good Life Fitness has been a big part of my life since 2011 and I'm always proud to tell people I workout there. In 2007, I received the amazing gift of life with a kidney & pancreas transplant because of complications I suffered from Type 1 diabetes. After the transplant, like with every step forward, I was taking 203 steps back with health issues. I kept fighting because I had been given a second chance at life and needed to keep my donated organs as healthy as possible. I joined GLF and started walking on the treadmill. Ended up walking next to Steven Auxier one day and told him I was thinking about walking the Lincoln half marathon. He encouraged me to sign up for the marathon training class offered through the gym. I never thought I could walk a half marathon, let alone run one! Three Lincoln halfs later, I think I need to thank Steve for that little encouraging talk back in January 2012. He and the staff have continued to encourage me through my fitness journey. Hands down, my biggest supporter has been Bryant Travis. He was given quite the challenge when I signed up to train with him a few years ago. With age and the daily dose of prednisone because of the transplant, I knew I needed to take care of my bones. He took all of my limitations and continued ailments and worked them into a program that has made me stronger. He knows when he can push me a little harder or when my body can't handle any more. He is brilliant at what he does and makes it enjoyable at the same time. I always look forward to my workouts with Bryant and feel so grateful for what he has done for me. I remember when I joined GLF, I mentioned to a friend that I liked the diversity of fitness levels and age groups of the members. The staff was so friendly and encouraged me to stick with it. That remains true today. GLF got me moving in the right direction and with their help, I'm hoping my donated organs continue working for a very long time! Share it!