Nutrition Suggestions On How to Eat Healthy and Exercise While Traveling By Shannon Montanye It is that time of year again. Many will start traveling for work and I know your thinking “I’ve been doing great with my diet and exercise at home, how am I supposed to keep it going while on the road?” It just so happens that I have a few suggestions that might help. During most of my career, I have been a corporate and a charter pilot. As opposed to an airline pilot, who actually has a flight schedule, pilots who work on the corporate and charter side of flying really don’t have schedules at all. Trips are constantly popping up at the last minute, and once you get to a destination, the dispatcher always has another place for you to fly. Before you know it, you’re pushing the Federal Aviation Administration’s maximum of a 14-hour duty day. With that kind of a day, one may ask “when do you eat and workout?” Many of the guys that I flew with would go all day without something to eat. There just wasn’t time to grab anything. Some resorted to going through the stocks of junk food and Cokes on the airplane or the vending machines at the airport, but seriously, what kind of nutrition is that? I started carrying my own food with me. I would carry it in a small, soft-sided cooler with enough healthy meals and snacks for the day. If I was on a multiple day trip, I packed food in my luggage for the following days. When I started carrying my “mule pack,” as one of my customer service reps called it, believe me, the guys wasted no time in making fun of me. “Oh there’s Shannon carrying her lunch purse!” Yea, and at the end of that 14-hour duty day, when they were starving half to death because they hadn’t eaten all day, who was laughing then? Here is a list of some of the things that I carried with me: 3oz packages of tuna 3oz packages of salmon Cups of unsweetened apple sauce Nile Spice brand soups (like cup of soup, but all natural and without additives) Clif Builder’s Bars Whey protein powder (don’t forget your shaker!) Homemade trail mix (I used ¼ cup of Ezekiel Cereal, 1 oz almonds, and a SMALL box of Sun maid Raisins) Oatmeal Dried fruit Bottled water (It is important to drink lots of water when you’re just sitting around or you’ll be a bloated sea cow by the end of the day!) When looking at these items, one can see that there is a little of everything from most of the major food groups. Fruits, veggies, protein, and whole grains. All of these foods are great to have while on the run, simply because they don’t require refrigeration. As far as the soup and oatmeal goes, remember most airports do have a Starbucks, which means hot water! Another important point to be made is this: don’t worry about getting this stuff through security at the airport. I’ve traveled many times with these items when flying on the airlines, and it all passed. Liquids they do have a problem with, food they do not. As far as international travel is concerned, you will have to check with your airline to see what will be acceptable and what will not be to bring into that country. I’ve been to numerous towns and cities in Canada, Mexico, and Colombia, and as long as the food was packaged (bought from the store in a package) they didn’t seem to have any issues with that. None of the three countries seemed to have a problem with my homemade trail mix either. Sometimes, we (I and my other crewmember) would get to stay at our destination for a couple of days. If that was the case, we always tried to stay at a hotel that had refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms. Hilton properties are particularly good about having those items in their rooms. If we managed to stay at a hotel with refrigerators, one of the first things we did was go to the grocery store. Non-fat, no sugar yogurt and skim milk were always on the top of my list. Ladies especially, you need to make sure you get your calcium! If you do choose to eat out, choose a restaurant that serves fish and chicken. My fellow crewmembers and I frequented Outback, Texas Roadhouse, and Lone Star. I could get my grilled chicken breast and plain sweet potato, while the guys, who didn’t have the strict diet that I had, could have their steaks. In other words, there is something for everyone at these locations. On the topic of exercise, more and more hotels are including good workout facilities within their establishments. Hilton Garden Inn, Westin Hotels, and Crowne Plaza Hotels, in my experience, have the best facilities. New cardio equipment, free weights, cable machines, medicine balls, etc. If your hotel doesn’t have a nice facility, ask the front desk clerk if they have workout passes with any of the local gyms. A lot of the time, they will either have free passes for hotel guests, or the hotel will have an agreement set up with a particular health club for a reduced-rate day pass. You just have to present your hotel key to the employees at that health club. I have one final suggestion. Let yourself live a little at least one day and one meal of your vacation. If you happen to be in Southern California, have that burger (In N Out Burger), in Florida, have the fried grouper sandwich at St. John’s Seafood, and in Memphis, have some of that awesome BBQ! And don’t worry, no one will tell Steve that you cheated on your diet.Share it!
Winter time mindless eating. Have you ever watched a shark during a feeding frenzy? It is quite impressive to watch how fast they can consume that much food in such a short amount of time! Does this sound familiar? Watch people on low carbohydrate diets fall off the wagon with the first taste of sweets, people at restaurant buffets, holiday dinners, and special occasions that provide indulging temptations. How do we avoid these messups and how do we recover from these bad situations? Here are some tips that I provide my clients with to recognize triggering temptations and how to get back on track.
- Protein at breakfast. It is very important to start your day with protein and complex carbohydrates. If you calculate the amount of hours from your last meal to breakfast this amounts to at least 8+ hours without any food source. Skipping breakfast will sink you into an fasted state which will cause major cravings later in the day and most importantly a lack of energy causing you to grab that sugar food for fast energy.
- Skipping to many hours between meals. To keep our metabolism at its fullest fat burning potential it is critical to eat on a regular schedule of every 3-4 hours. When we skip to many hours in between meals our body looks for an quick energy source, sugar. This sends our blood sugar on a roller coaster to temptation heaven.
- Fail to plan then plan to fail. Failing to plan out your meals in advance is like operating your computer without McAfee protection. You are setting yourself up for failure and temptations of major marketing campaigns. These campaigns are trying to get you to fail when you are vulnerable. Write and prepare your meals in advance and carry them with you in cooler if needed to keep you bullet proof.
- Fix the tire. If you fall off the bike get back up and try again. If you get a flat tire then fix it. Commonly I see so many people slip up on one meal and totally give up and blow the whole day with bad meals. It is okay, just start over with the next meal.
- Every day is a new day. What happened yesterday is the past. You can not change the past so there is no need to vent about having that bad meal or falling off track. Each day is a new day by bettering yourself with healthy food and exercise. Try to picture each meal and workout laying the foundation of your future health. Be good to your body because where are you going live when you wear your body out from making unhealthy choices?
SO Many AMAZING Changes Have Happened At Good Life Fitness Since 2010!! NOW Good Fitness On 84th Highway 2 Has Been OPEN 1 Year!!! WOW Amazing To See The Overwhelming Response From The Members As The 2nd Location Has Been Open! To Help Celebrate Our 1 Year Anniversary For Good Life Fitness SE And We Are Coming To 9 Years Of Being Open On 3rd Van Dorn We Are Having A Special Week At Good Life Fitness!!!! We Are Having a FREE Fitness Classes All Week At BOTH Good Life Fitness Locations!! COME Choose From OVER 160 Fitness Boot Camp/Group Fitness Classes A Week!! NEW Boot Camp Formats, NEW Spinning, NEW 2nd Facility, NEW Indoor/Outdoor Astro Turf, NEW Rowing Machines, Indoor/Outdoor Child Care!! January 2018 Will Be Your BEST Year Ever!! Bring Family, Friends, Neighbors, And Anyone Who Is Wanting To Look And Feel Their Best!!! This Week Is For Everyone Including:
- All PAST Members Of Good Life Fitness Who Might Have Moved OR Want To See The NEW Facility Or Classes Being Offered
- All PAST Guest Pass Members Of Good Life Fitness
- All Current Members Looking To Change Up The Routine For MAXIMUM Results
With the New Year's HERE and fitness is on the minds of EVERYONE!! Making the best decision for your fitness success can sometimes be very stressful. Millions of people will search for personal trainers in studio and in home, join health clubs, and seek the assistance of nutritionist. When shopping for health clubs, boot camps/group fitness programs, and programs that are offered just for a short time frame of 6 weeks, 10 weeks, or 12 weeks here are a few questions to consider to help you make the best decision.
- Does the club have month/month memberships? Does The RATE Increase On You YEARLY?!?
- Does the club have 1 year ,2 year OR 3 memberships options? -
- Does the club have sneaky sales promotion to get you in the door to learn it was NOT what you thought?
- Does the club have first/last month dues up front? Does the club have YEARLY improvement fees
- Does the club have high pressure sales with commission driven sales people? Do they call you daily/weekly/monthly?
- Does the club have scenarios if you join now we will waive your initiation fees and other dues only if you join the FIRST day?
- Does the club have hidden facility fees?
- Does the club have cancellation fees?
- Does the club allow children on the weight room floor under 12?
- Does the club allow its members to go shirt less and shoes are not required? Does the club allow members to drop barbells and dumbbells?
- Does the club have the hours available for you and for the child care?
- Does the club have FREE child care?
- Does your club have child care?
- Does your club have lockers/showers?
- Does your club offer enough group fitness or fitness boot camp classes to work for your schedule?
Goals! Goals, goals, goals, goals, goals and more goals! Yes from the beginning of our lives, we have been taught about setting goals to achieve! I think alot of people have good intentions to succeed, but they just talk about them. In order to succeed you must write daily, weekly, monthly, 6 month, 1 year, and 5 year goals! You must write these goals down! I personally write my goals down on my desk to basically keep me striving both mentally and physically! My former training partner even put my #1 goal on my screen saver of my cell phone!!! Now talk about a reminder!!!! A goals that is not put down on paper is just a DREAM! Afraid Of False Starting! Fitness is very confusing! The fitness community has produced over 10,000 books that proclaim they have the answer to everyone’s problems! Now what about all the fad diets, fad supplements, fad fitness programs! WOW A TON OF CONFUSION!!! I believe that a mass majority of people have confused their bodies and their minds with clutter!! We have to sort through all of the spider webs and start on a proven path of fitness success!! THE ANSWER TO FITNESS IS TO FOLLOW A SOUND FITNESS AND NUTRITIONAL PLAN THAT WILL DELIVER RESULTS FOR REAL PEOPLE!!Share it!
We Are EXCITED To Announce Our 1 Year Anniversary For The NEW Good Life Fitness On 84th Highway 2!!!! We Are Celebrating With Our HUGE Membership And Personal Training Specials!!! Thank You Lincoln And Surrounding Communities For All Of Your Support For Allowing Good Life Fitness The Opportunity To Assist You All On Your Fitness Goals!!! Gym Only Membership: ONLY $22.99/mo Gym Plus Group Fitness: ONLY $27.99/mo Fitness Boot Camp: ONLY $99/mo All Memberships Include: : Access To Both Good Life Fitness Locations : FREE Tanning : FREE Child Care : Full Cardio/Weight Room : HUGE Women's ONLY Fitness Room SPECIAL: Expires December 16th At 10p.m. certain restrictions apply.Share it!
Support Local Business This Saturday!!! Gift Certificates Are Available!!! With An Overwhelming Response We Have EXTENDED Our HUGE Black Friday Specials To EXTEND Through Sunday At 8p.m. At Both Good Life Fitness Locations!! At Good Life Fitness We Are HONORED To Assist Lincoln And Neighboring Communities And Are Proud Members Of The Lincoln Chamber Of Commerce!! Did You Know That Good Life Fitness Is A Locally Owned And Operated Business Where The Owners Live In Lincoln And Are In The Gyms Everyday!!! We Pride On Being Voted The #1 Health Club In Lincoln, In Nebraska, And Voted TOP 50 Gyms In America!! Support Your Local Business This Saturday!!! Share it!
Due To An OVERWHELMING Response Our HUGE Black Friday Specials Have Been EXTENDED To Sunday At 8p.m.!!!!! YES Join The #1 Gym Nebraska With Our HUGE Black Friday Sales!!! Take Advantage Of HUGE Savings!! Maybe You Are Traveling And Can't Make It In...NO Worry All Specials Can Be Purchased Over The Phone!!! Share it!
A HUGE Thank You To All Of The Members Of Good Life Fitness For Their Dedication, Passion And Bringing Their "A" Games To Get Better Every Single Day With One Meal, One Workout, One Day At A Time!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You To Our Amazing Managers Christy Johnson Glf Ryan Wright Glf Jen Imus And To The ENTIRE Staff For Their Dedication To Helping The Members And The Community Of Lincoln And Surrounding Areas With Achieving Long Term Health And Fitness Success!!! A HUGE Honor To Receive This Award....Thank You For Choosing Your Locally Owned And Operated Good Life Fitness?
Dedicated To Your Fitness Success! Dave, Jason, Steve And The Entire Staff AweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesomeShare it!