Winter time mindless eating. Have you ever watched a shark during a feeding frenzy? It is quite impressive to watch how fast they can consume that much food in such a short amount of time! Does this sound familiar? Watch people on low carbohydrate diets fall off the wagon with the first taste of sweets, people at restaurant buffets, holiday dinners, and special occasions that provide indulging temptations. How do we avoid these messups and how do we recover from these bad situations? Here are some tips that I provide my clients with to recognize triggering temptations and how to get back on track.
- Protein at breakfast. It is very important to start your day with protein and complex carbohydrates. If you calculate the amount of hours from your last meal to breakfast this amounts to at least 8+ hours without any food source. Skipping breakfast will sink you into an fasted state which will cause major cravings later in the day and most importantly a lack of energy causing you to grab that sugar food for fast energy.
- Skipping to many hours between meals. To keep our metabolism at its fullest fat burning potential it is critical to eat on a regular schedule of every 3-4 hours. When we skip to many hours in between meals our body looks for an quick energy source, sugar. This sends our blood sugar on a roller coaster to temptation heaven.
- Fail to plan then plan to fail. Failing to plan out your meals in advance is like operating your computer without McAfee protection. You are setting yourself up for failure and temptations of major marketing campaigns. These campaigns are trying to get you to fail when you are vulnerable. Write and prepare your meals in advance and carry them with you in cooler if needed to keep you bullet proof.
- Fix the tire. If you fall off the bike get back up and try again. If you get a flat tire then fix it. Commonly I see so many people slip up on one meal and totally give up and blow the whole day with bad meals. It is okay, just start over with the next meal.
- Every day is a new day. What happened yesterday is the past. You can not change the past so there is no need to vent about having that bad meal or falling off track. Each day is a new day by bettering yourself with healthy food and exercise. Try to picture each meal and workout laying the foundation of your future health. Be good to your body because where are you going live when you wear your body out from making unhealthy choices?
SO Many AMAZING Changes Have Happened At Good Life Fitness Since 2010!! NOW Good Fitness On 84th Highway 2 Has Been OPEN 1 Year!!! WOW Amazing To See The Overwhelming Response From The Members As The 2nd Location Has Been Open! To Help Celebrate Our 1 Year Anniversary For Good Life Fitness SE And We Are Coming To 9 Years Of Being Open On 3rd Van Dorn We Are Having A Special Week At Good Life Fitness!!!! We Are Having a FREE Fitness Classes All Week At BOTH Good Life Fitness Locations!! COME Choose From OVER 160 Fitness Boot Camp/Group Fitness Classes A Week!! NEW Boot Camp Formats, NEW Spinning, NEW 2nd Facility, NEW Indoor/Outdoor Astro Turf, NEW Rowing Machines, Indoor/Outdoor Child Care!! January 2018 Will Be Your BEST Year Ever!! Bring Family, Friends, Neighbors, And Anyone Who Is Wanting To Look And Feel Their Best!!! This Week Is For Everyone Including:
- All PAST Members Of Good Life Fitness Who Might Have Moved OR Want To See The NEW Facility Or Classes Being Offered
- All PAST Guest Pass Members Of Good Life Fitness
- All Current Members Looking To Change Up The Routine For MAXIMUM Results
With the New Year's HERE and fitness is on the minds of EVERYONE!! Making the best decision for your fitness success can sometimes be very stressful. Millions of people will search for personal trainers in studio and in home, join health clubs, and seek the assistance of nutritionist. When shopping for health clubs, boot camps/group fitness programs, and programs that are offered just for a short time frame of 6 weeks, 10 weeks, or 12 weeks here are a few questions to consider to help you make the best decision.
- Does the club have month/month memberships? Does The RATE Increase On You YEARLY?!?
- Does the club have 1 year ,2 year OR 3 memberships options? -
- Does the club have sneaky sales promotion to get you in the door to learn it was NOT what you thought?
- Does the club have first/last month dues up front? Does the club have YEARLY improvement fees
- Does the club have high pressure sales with commission driven sales people? Do they call you daily/weekly/monthly?
- Does the club have scenarios if you join now we will waive your initiation fees and other dues only if you join the FIRST day?
- Does the club have hidden facility fees?
- Does the club have cancellation fees?
- Does the club allow children on the weight room floor under 12?
- Does the club allow its members to go shirt less and shoes are not required? Does the club allow members to drop barbells and dumbbells?
- Does the club have the hours available for you and for the child care?
- Does the club have FREE child care?
- Does your club have child care?
- Does your club have lockers/showers?
- Does your club offer enough group fitness or fitness boot camp classes to work for your schedule?
Goals! Goals, goals, goals, goals, goals and more goals! Yes from the beginning of our lives, we have been taught about setting goals to achieve! I think alot of people have good intentions to succeed, but they just talk about them. In order to succeed you must write daily, weekly, monthly, 6 month, 1 year, and 5 year goals! You must write these goals down! I personally write my goals down on my desk to basically keep me striving both mentally and physically! My former training partner even put my #1 goal on my screen saver of my cell phone!!! Now talk about a reminder!!!! A goals that is not put down on paper is just a DREAM! Afraid Of False Starting! Fitness is very confusing! The fitness community has produced over 10,000 books that proclaim they have the answer to everyone’s problems! Now what about all the fad diets, fad supplements, fad fitness programs! WOW A TON OF CONFUSION!!! I believe that a mass majority of people have confused their bodies and their minds with clutter!! We have to sort through all of the spider webs and start on a proven path of fitness success!! THE ANSWER TO FITNESS IS TO FOLLOW A SOUND FITNESS AND NUTRITIONAL PLAN THAT WILL DELIVER RESULTS FOR REAL PEOPLE!!Share it!
Today's AWESOMESAUCE Award goes out to Kim Dillon! " Good Life Fitness has been a big part of my life since 2011 and I'm always proud to tell people I workout there. In 2007, I received the amazing gift of life with a kidney & pancreas transplant because of complications I suffered from Type 1 diabetes. After the transplant, like with every step forward, I was taking 203 steps back with health issues. I kept fighting because I had been given a second chance at life and needed to keep my donated organs as healthy as possible. I joined GLF and started walking on the treadmill. Ended up walking next to Steven Auxier one day and told him I was thinking about walking the Lincoln half marathon. He encouraged me to sign up for the marathon training class offered through the gym. I never thought I could walk a half marathon, let alone run one! Three Lincoln halfs later, I think I need to thank Steve for that little encouraging talk back in January 2012. He and the staff have continued to encourage me through my fitness journey. Hands down, my biggest supporter has been Bryant Travis. He was given quite the challenge when I signed up to train with him a few years ago. With age and the daily dose of prednisone because of the transplant, I knew I needed to take care of my bones. He took all of my limitations and continued ailments and worked them into a program that has made me stronger. He knows when he can push me a little harder or when my body can't handle any more. He is brilliant at what he does and makes it enjoyable at the same time. I always look forward to my workouts with Bryant and feel so grateful for what he has done for me. I remember when I joined GLF, I mentioned to a friend that I liked the diversity of fitness levels and age groups of the members. The staff was so friendly and encouraged me to stick with it. That remains true today. GLF got me moving in the right direction and with their help, I'm hoping my donated organs continue working for a very long time! Share it!
DO YOU FEEL BLOATED? HOW TO AVOID EXCESSIVE WATER RETENTION
Do you commonly walk around feeling like a bloated Sponge Bob Square Pants? Have you noticed that you can bounce around 3-6 pounds per day? Are you dreading putting the bikini on or taking the shirt off at the pool this summer?!? Have you ever noticed one day you feel EXTRA lean and then some days you feel FLUFFY?!? This is very FRUSTRATING!! I highly recommend that you seek the assistance of our fat loss specialist at Good Life Fitness that will custom make your “Shred” nutrition program to help you look and feel your best for Spring:)) Here are some Summertime tips to help you better understand water retention and how to prevent it. Our body acts very much like Sponge Bob. If you consume small amounts of water, it is very similar to taking a few drops of water and pouring it on a sponge. What happens? That dehydrated sponge will hold onto that water therefore causing you to look and feel bloated especially in the midsection. Now if you take a fully saturated sponge and pour a gallon of water on it the sponge will absorb it and then overflow the remaining amount. The common thinking is to restrict your water to lose weight, but what happens is the body perceives it and the signal is transmitted saying that you better retain it not knowing when the next water is coming again. This is what makes us feel bloated! Many people commonly will take water pills, detox pills, or other natural herbs trying to alleviate this water retention. These supplements are only a QUICK FIX to a problem that can be cured with proper hydration, water intake, and most important nutrition consistency! When you are bloated you are actually dehydrated. When you have the urge to drink water this is a sign of the first stage of dehydration. Have you ever noticed that all body builders carry a milk jug of water around and they are lean, muscular, and full of energy. Over 70% of America’s population are walking around chronically dehydrated. How much water should I drink per day? I usually recommend first the following equation. Take your bodyweight/2.2. If you are doing that then your bodyweight x .66 = oz of water per day. Try adding lemon to your water. Common foods to avoid are dairy products ( cottage cheese), flour, excessive bread consumption, high amounts of cereals, frozen meals, lunch meat, salsa’s, spaghetti sauces, canned vegetables and soups, excessive caffeine, alcohol, fast food, chips, and pretzels. There are foods that have properties to help alleviate water retention. Try and incorporate white fish, spinach, and asparagus to help with excessive water retention!! Another important factor is to not eliminate carbohydrates from your diet…this will cause more problems down the road. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!!!Share it!
The frustration of unwanted ugly belly fat! Many people truly look to quick fix nutrition programs and fat burning supplements as the answer of the stubborn midsection! This blog was the #1 viewed blog of 2010 that I had posted so I wanted to share it again just in time for spring:)) Shredded, wash board, razor cuts…these are lifelong dreams of many fitness enthusiasts. I personally view a lean firm stomach as a testimonial of one’s dedication to their nutrition and training. I receive many emails a day from people seeking advice on training their stomach. Here is a list of the Top 7 questions about achieving those razor cut abs! Also a bonus question at the end:)) Question #1: Do we have an upper and lower abdomen? Answer: No. A lot times I think we feel that we have two separate sections of the abdominal. Our rectus abodominal muscle is actually all one main muscle. The reason we often see the upper abdominals contract and burn more is because of the muscle fibers in this region. The upper abdominal muscle fibers shorten more during abdominal movements but actually the whole abdomen does contract. Proper nutrition, cardiovascular training and your core program is important! Question #2: Why can I not see my abs yet? I do a ton of abdominal crunches but I still can not see my abs! Answer: Remember you can not spot train. Basically what this means is that we can not burn fat out of certain regions of our body. Now i do believe that we should put extra focus on those stubborn areas to help them pick up the pace:) It is very important that we balance out our fitness instead of just trying to work on our problem spots. According to a study done at the University of Massachusetts. A group of men did the equivalent of 5,000 sit ups in 27 days and did not lose any body fat from their abdomen. The key is your cardiovascular, nutrition, and your training program. Question #3: What is the best abdominal exercise? Answer: This is a tough question. My theory is that we must incorporate the posterior side of the body into the abdominal movement. So I personally believe the two best movements are the abdominal plank and the v-up crunch. Both of these movements incorporate the whole rectus abdominus and lower erectior spinae. Question #4: Should I always train my abs at the end of the workout? Answer: Personally I am a fan of mixing abdominal movements in to the middle of the workout. Remember our body is a creature of habit. We are trying to break the principle of adaptation. So a good mixup is important. Try doing your stomach first. Be careful on leg day! If you fatigue your lower back before squats or deadlifts you must be cautious! Question #5: Can I use weights on my ab exercises? Answer: Yes, I would try to master technique first before increasing the intensity with weights. The key is technique then intensity! Question #6: How often can I train my abs? Answer: No research has shown that we can overtrain our stomach. Personally I train my stomach multiple times per day. The military and top athletes in the world train their abdomen daily! Question #7: Does side bends with dumbbells reduce my love handles? Answer: Unfortunately this does not work. This movement actually works the lateral range of motion in your spine. The key to reducing these areas is proper diet and your cardiovascular program. Bonus Question: If you would change one thing in my diet what would you do? Wow: Tough question…honestly I say there are 3 main keys. Work on eliminating all simple sugars, meal spacing, and work on increasing your lean protein. Share it!