A HUGE Congratulations To All Of The 100 Day Competitors Of The Bryan Health Challenge!!!!
1st Place: Glenda Schnase- Dropped 17 lbs and over 5 inches from her naval!!
2nd Place: Sandy Kirchner- Dropped 15 lbs and dropped 3 inches from her naval!
3rd Place: Jamie Schafer- Dropped 11 lbs and dropped over 1.5 from her naval!
We Are HONORED To Assist Glenda, Sandy, and Jamie And The Employees Of Bryan Hospital On Their Fitness Journey At Good Life Fitness
The other day I was walking around the grocery store and was just shocked how strategically the store was layout. It seems that the average small town grocery store is a thing of the past and are now being replaced with huge super centers. I am now able to do my dry cleaning, banking, drink coffee, eat Mc Donalds, change my oil and even cut my hair all in a grocery store! Well here is the secret…the longer they can keep you in the store the more products you will purchase. With this in mind, I have come up with 10 grocery shopping tips to help us stay on track to reaching your goals.
- Never shop hungry! Have you ever noticed that food that normally is not appealing all of sudden sounds really good? You will be tempted to purchase junk food and what I call “mindless food“. These include chips, crackers, candy bars, and other little snack grabbers. So avoid this at all costs!
- Shop on the outside isles. Over 80% of the foods that you want to eat are on the outside isles of the store. Foods like mixed green salad, lean meats, dairy products, vegetables, and fruits are always located on the outside isles.
- Shop from a grocery list. Use the 30 Day Shredded Diet grocery list. Stick to your list. Over 40 percent of supermarket purchases are made on impulse thinking. Stick to your guns!
- Stay away from the inside isles. Here is a true fact. Grocery stores regulate the heat on the outside isles. They purposely heat in the inside isles more to keep you there longer. The outside is always colder. The inside isles have all of the junk food. Be careful!
- Check out temptations! With children I notice this a ton! As we are stuck in line surrounded by candy bars, lolly pops, beef jerky, energy drinks, magazine tabloids, and other “mindless” foods the temptations rise tremendously! Be careful.
- Choose foods wisely. One rule I live by is that I always choose foods with one ingredient or no label. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on the package then avoid it. Probably not good for you!
- Hurry Up! Have you ever noticed the music in stores? Supermarkets play down-tempo music to make you move slower and enjoy your shopping experience. Marketing to get you to stay longer!
- Be careful in the cereal isle. Companies pay big money for their prime spots on the shelves. Have you ever noticed that all of the Disney characters are strategically placed at childrens height? They are marketing to your children. Sneaky, huh? Yes the healthy cereals are up high or way low. The fruit snacks are right at eye sight level for children to see also.
- Why is the dairy case clear in the back? Well this is strategically done as well. Normally we are tempted to buy more as we walk to the back of the store. Normally you will leave with more than just milk.
- Online grocery shopping. Have you ever tried to shop with 3 small children screaming and wanting everything in the store? Well it is not pleasant!! My wife found the online grocery shopping experience to be very convenient. A current study showed that people purchased 28% less calorie dense foods when shopping online. Give it a try!
Bonus Tip:) Avoid all of the free samples that the nice little vendor is offering!!
Good Life Fitness now offers sports specific youth training for individual or small group with numbers not exceeding 7. Schedule today your FREE fitness consultation today.
Youth Sports Training Program
Each child, or group, will have a specific training program specific to their needs as athletes. We will do fitness testing during the first session measuring strength and speed, and then periodically throughout their training program to monitor progress. This program will contain strength, endurance, agility, plyometric and speed training specific to each athlete and sport. Our goal is to use this more individualized training to instill proper technique and enhance skill level in the athlete, so they can carry this on to their sport.
AGILITY TRAINING: Agility training as an athlete is very important. From youth athletics all the way up to professional, it is very important. For example, some benefits:
- Aids in injury prevention
- Improve multi-planar coordination
- Increase heart rate and blood flow
- Increase mind-body connection
STRENGTH TRAINING: Strength training is important for all athletes, not only for power lifters, or football players. For example, some benefits:
- Increase bone density
- Increase calories burned while resting
- Increase muscle tone
- Increase explosiveness
SPEED TRAINING: Speed training is not only for sprinters. All athletes that are involved in sports with quick bursts of running or moving can benefit from speed training. For example, some benefits:
- Increase calorie burn
- Improve your VO2 max, or your body’s ability to use oxygen
- Increase your body’s ability to oxidize fat
- Trim time off of your running/sprinting times
PLYOMETRIC TRAINING: The goal of plyometric training is to train for maximum force production in the smallest period of time, so reps are kept low and the intensity and effort is high. All athletes can use plyometric training to improve all parts of their game. For example, some benefits:
- Increase explosiveness
- Increase strength and efficiency of fast twitch muscle fibers
- Improve maximal strength performance
- Increase stamina
- Increase speed and power
Yes believe it or not but lack of movement is labeled as the “silent killer”. If you really look at your daily activity you might find a big majority is “sitting” .Yes we have become a screen viewing society and many just lack movement with a combination of poor nutrition is a DEADLY combo.
As you are aware, I’m sure, people who work in an office tend to sit down ALL DAY LONG, and even if they have worked out in the morning (like at your boot camp), they still might be very sedentary during the day. Here’s a typical example: Get up and go to Steve’s boot camp with your day starting at 4:30a.m.
If you look at your life schedule with children. It could be even more lack of activity. Driving children to their activities and sitting and watching activities..in general we have become even more inactive the more involved our children become. On the go makes us even more open to grabbing food on the go and foods with preservatives.
4:30a.m -5:00 – SIT in car on way to Good Life Fitness
5:00-6:00am — Boot Camp at Good Life Fitness
6:00-6:30am – SIT in car going home
6:30-7:30 – ready for work
7:30-8:00 – SIT to go to work
8:00-11:30 – SIT at work
11:30-12:30 – lunch (SIT most of it)
12:30-5:00 SIT at work
5:00-5:30 – SIT on the way home
5:30-bedtime – dinner, SIT to read/watch tv/help kids with homework, e.t.c.
That’s 11 hours of sitting, not including the sitting time after 5:30p.m. Lack of activity…YES belly fat and flat butt syndrome:) Amazing when you really break down your daily activity like above.
GOALS: Get up and move around through out the day. How about a ergonomic desk that allows you to stand? How about taking a walk or better yet go to the gym over your lunch hour? How about go for a run/walk when your children are at their practices? Your daily goal is 10,000 steps per day!!Share it!
OVER 55 million people start on their fitness goals January…BUT over 80% fail in 6 weeks…BUT do we really ever fail?!? Hopefully you have NOT joined a health club and signed a 1,2, or 3 year contract:)
How is your year 2017 going? Like many we are all doing our best to push ourselves when we workout. I have been witnessing many in the gym with a new level of motivation to meet their 2017 goals. But that warm bed, on a winter morning, is a hard one to part with mentally and physically. Yesterday, we received tips on avoiding the food cravings….how about we determine the tips for MOTIVATING ourselves to Work Out and to overcome that craving to stay in bed or relax on the couch?
And just like food cravings the same applies to our workouts, “The magic number in fitness transformations is 12 weeks! If you can stay dedicated for this period of time you will notice remarkable changes. In the fitness world the statistic shows a 65% failure rate around 12 weeks. On a brighter note…remember nobody fails in fitness. You will work on your fitness EVERY single day of your life!”
The top ten motivators that have worked for me:
1. Set goals that will motivate YOU and write them down. Read it daily, these goals will be very powerful for you when you are working out and keep you moving forward.
2. Tell a friend and provide them with your written goals….what’s better than having more accountability.
3. Get a Workout Partner or find someone in the gym that pushes you to give it your best and makes you want more or will keep you coming.
4. Know any one that may think you can’t do it…..prove them wrong and enjoy the look you get as you progress. This could be a huge factor for you to not decide to miss workout.
5. Motivate yourself with the programs you like to do or that work best for you. We like the path of least resistance. If it isn’t something you like or challenging you will find a million reasons to do something else.
6. Think of your work outs as opportunities or as small tasks. It can be mentally easier to motivate yourself to commit for 30 or 60 minutes, one day, one week or one month.
7. Set a schedule that is convenient and works for you. Always have the attitude to not alter that schedule for something or someone, this is my time!
8. Think positive. You will have some challenging days and you may experience some awkward moves and discomfort. Focus on what you can do; it will improve because you desire to make it work for you. Workouts should make you happy!
9. The euphoria after an intense workout. At first you may feel dogged, maybe beaten but eventually it is the GREATEST feeling when you recognize that you put it all out there, you gave your best and that is the ultimate satisfaction! Enjoy this emotional high it is a motivational boost.
10. You want it, you need it and most of all you DESERVE to be healthier and fitter!!